Dothan is the single fastest consumer CPU in the world

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 4, 2004 8:07:02 PM

DFI claims its new green motherboard for Intel's Pentium-M
notebook processor, formerly code-named Dothan, does not only
work more power-efficient, but also can outperform traditional
desktop processors systems....

DFI claims that a Pentium-M processor overclocked to 2.8 GHz
outperformed an Athlon 64 4000+ system in a Doom 3 640x480 LQ
benchmark by more than ten percent. A regular 2 GHz Dothan
chip outpaced a Pentium 4 3.6 GHz, while a tested
Celeron-M-based system nearly achieved the same performance as
a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz system.
--
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20041104_110721.ht...

-Chris
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 5, 2004 12:00:22 AM

"Chris Allen" <callen@efn.org> wrote in message
| --
| DFI claims its new green motherboard for Intel's Pentium-M
| notebook processor, formerly code-named Dothan, does not only
| work more power-efficient, but also can outperform traditional
| desktop processors systems....
|
| DFI claims that a Pentium-M processor overclocked to 2.8 GHz
| outperformed an Athlon 64 4000+ system in a Doom 3 640x480 LQ
| benchmark by more than ten percent. A regular 2 GHz Dothan
| chip outpaced a Pentium 4 3.6 GHz, while a tested
| Celeron-M-based system nearly achieved the same performance as
| a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz system.
| --
| http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20041104_110721.ht...

Surprise! Tom's hardware spreading more lies lol.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 5, 2004 10:45:59 PM

Hierophant <nospam@duh.net> wrote:

> Surprise! Tom's hardware spreading more lies lol.

Shannon tells us that the information content of the above posting is zero
bits.

For what it's worth, a Toshiba Techra here with a 1.7MHz Banias
(Pentium-M, 1MB of L2) runs SETI@Home work units in an average of 145
minutes. That's compared to a 2.4GHz P4's average here of 160 minutes.
It also computed Pi to a million places and saved the results in 3.29
seconds - again, faster than the 2.4GHz P4.

The 2.0 GHz Dothan, with twice the L2 cache, should be significantly
faster. No hyperthreading but how many folks use that?

I'm impressed.

Jim Horn (old CPU user since '75)
a b D Laptop
November 6, 2004 6:09:01 PM

"Chris Allen" <callen@efn.org> wrote in message
> --
> DFI claims its new green motherboard for Intel's Pentium-M
> notebook processor, formerly code-named Dothan, does not only
> work more power-efficient, but also can outperform traditional
> desktop processors systems....
>
> DFI claims that a Pentium-M processor overclocked to 2.8 GHz
> outperformed an Athlon 64 4000+ system in a Doom 3 640x480 LQ
> benchmark by more than ten percent. A regular 2 GHz Dothan
> chip outpaced a Pentium 4 3.6 GHz, while a tested
> Celeron-M-based system nearly achieved the same performance as
> a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz system.
> --
> http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20041104_110721.ht...

Pentium 4s have NEVER been ready for prime time! They were prematurely
released for marketing reasons several years ago because AMD was kicking
their butt performance wise. The marketoids released them to play the MHz
numbers game with retail buyers.

When the P4s came out, they couldn't even outperform existing Pentium 3s!
They were/are power hogs and they run hot!

The Pentium Ms use some architecture that was last seen in the Pentium Pro
chips. PPros were really advanced but were too expensive to make at the
time. Intel ramped up the MHz's on the Pentium IIs and let the PPros die
in the dust.

The Dothans use most of the same architecture as the Banias except the
have a separate 2MB L2 Cache Memory chip mounted next to the processor
chip inside the encapsulation on the CPU plus they run cooler because of
the .9µ circuitry which uses less current.
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)
November 7, 2004 5:54:44 AM

* * Chas <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote:
: Pentium 4s have NEVER been ready for prime time! They were prematurely
: released for marketing reasons several years ago because AMD was kicking
: their butt performance wise. The marketoids released them to play the MHz
: numbers game with retail buyers.

: When the P4s came out, they couldn't even outperform existing Pentium 3s!
: They were/are power hogs and they run hot!

: The Pentium Ms use some architecture that was last seen in the Pentium Pro
: chips. PPros were really advanced but were too expensive to make at the
: time. Intel ramped up the MHz's on the Pentium IIs and let the PPros die
: in the dust.

Well...the Pentium Pro archictecture ("P6" as in "686" at that time)
was the basis for the Pentium II (and Pentium III). The PPro was a
complete from-the-ground-up redesign using nothing from the previous
Pentium. PPro was the first x86 architecture to use out-of-order
instruction execution and memory read/write ordering, plus it used
improved branch prediction over the Pentium. PPro also had the L2
cache mounted in the same package (expensive); Pentium II dispensed
with that and did some other tweaks, but they are basically the same
architecture.

Pentium 4 ("Willamette" architecture) was again a brand new
architecture on its own. I think Pentium M is kind of a hybrid
between the P6 and Willamette architectures with new power-saving
stuff added in, but I do not know the details of this very well.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

"* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote
> The Dothans use most of the same architecture as the Banias
> except the have a separate 2MB L2 Cache Memory chip mounted
> next to the processor chip inside the encapsulation on the CPU

No:

--
The process shrink from 130nm to 90nm has allowed Intel to boost
Dothan's transistor count to 140 million (from 77m), while keeping

There is a picture of the Dothan die on that site. You can see
that all of Dothan's 140 million transistors are on a single die.
If the cache was on a separate chip, its latency might be too
high to be able to justify calling it "L2."

> plus they run cooler because of
> the .9µ circuitry which uses less current.

Actually, .9u has problems with current leakage:
http://www.google.com/search?q=leakage+90nm+dothan

Finer lithography processes generally do, however, translate
to lower voltage requirements.

Power consumption in the Dothan design is partly kept down by
powering down, in blocks, unused cache capacity.
!