What does it take to damage your cpu when installing?

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hello there, I was recently installing some CPU waterblock, and kinda put too much thermal paste on, so I was taking up the CPU to clean some off, as i was lifting it, it kinda lost balance and slided over some of the small pins in the CPU connector hole. I heard that these pins of the mobo/CPU are EXTREMELY sensitive, and its takes NOTHING to destroy your mobo/CPU.

I haven't been able to turn the pc on yet, so I'm a little worried if it could of taken damage.

G

I had something similar happen to me once. I actually took off the cooling block and the cpu but when I was cleaning the block it fell and landed on the motherboard taking out about four pins on my lga775 board. To my amazement I actually tryed to realingne the bad pins and they all broke off. I installed the the cpu back in the socket turned on the computer and it worked. I actually ran it like that for about 4 years without any problems, I never overclocked it though but it worked as good as it should. Im not sure how that happened but I guess I was lucky. either that or those missing pins didnt do much. hope that helps easy your pain.