How to transfer dos file to windows 7

jerryb12

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
I have a dos file on another computer I am transferring to windows 7 but am having problems. Can you help me with this?

jerryb12

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

It is a master cook file with lots of cooking recipes listed by type. Such as: Bartender's guide, drink mixes, Family favorites, Famous American Chefs , Kitchen classics, etc. The actual recipes will not transfer, just the name of the file as noted above..

As above pointed out, need the file extention.
The 3 letter extention identifies the program to open the file.

After coping the file, does the size match the original file size. or right click it and click on properties.

You say a dos file. In it trues form that means that it was created under dos, either by a 3rd party program or from a dos command line.
Windows 7 should open any Dos file with an extention of .txt

The .bas file that kenrivers indicated would have been created by Dos Basic and would not be read by windows 7 unless it was generated as a text file. You couyld right click it and open it in word pad - but pointles as that would be a source file for a program writen in basic.

A .exe, .com or would be a file that executes and in most cases if created in Dos will NOT run under windows 7 64 bit as it would undoughtably contain 16 bit code. A .bat is also simular to a program and would be meaningless under windows.

Normally windows will display a error message indicating that it does not know what program to use to open the file.

If the File is really a progrm (ie .exe) and the recipes are opened when the program opens. Try running a dos window and go to where you placed the file and type the name. May work with windows 7 32 bit, but probably would need to down load "DosBox" to get it to execute under windows 7 64 Bit.
http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

jerryb12

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

the file name is MCF

I now know MCF = MasterCook Cookbook File. Is the program that was used to open these files a DOS based program or Windows program? Can you open the files on the other computer and then save them to a flash drive using Save or Save As within the program?

jerryb12

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

This Master cook program has been with us for a long time. It was first installed in 1993 in our first PC. Next it went into our Windows 95 programed computer. Next it went into our upgraded windows 98. The system it is in now is Windows XP. That's where it appears to be stuck. I have the original install discs. They are the 3 1/2" floppy type and this computer will not take that disc. The windows XP will not open these floppy discs either, without a program that is compatible. Almost looks like I have a lot of typing to do... Jerryb12

jerryb12

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

I did what you suggested and it came up with ARION Software, Inc. Version 2.17 Instal to :C\ MSTRCook

^ Not a dos program, it's a windows program so Dosbox probably would not work. If he is running winXP 32 bit then compatability mode should work.

In 1992, Arion developed and released its first title, MasterCook PC for Windows. Arion's first title was soon followed by the release of MasterCook II in 1993 and MasterCook Mac in 1994. The success of the MasterCook series has established Arion as the market share leader in the cooking software category.
End quote.

jerryb12
Quote I did what you suggested and it came up with ARION Software, Inc. Version 2.17 Instal to :C\ MSTRCook End quote.
That is what it should come up at, Did you say "Go ahead and install and then try to run the program. Again, should only be a problem if you are running a 64 bit OS. 64 Bit OS really only needed if you have more than 4 gigs of memory (RAM).