Sign in with
Your question

IDE storage controller corrupted or missing

Last response: in Storage
September 11, 2012 7:40:15 PM

Hello more technically advanced people,
My Toshiba Satellite is running Vista 32 bit on Athlon X2 dual-core AMD processor.

In Device Mngr, I see the device driver aq5jtgdw IDE storage controller "cannot load or is corrupted or missing". Underneath this Driver is listed another storage controller: Microsoft iSCSl Initiator, that is working fine.

Am I in trouble here? I don't know if this is causing slowness or behind-the-scenes issues.

I sometimes use a USB connection to load movies onto an external HD. When connected, there is no difference in the msg. above regarding the missing driver...no effect. I'm afraid to right-click on missing driver and choose to update it.

Any insight or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I have searched extensively for info but am at a loss as to whether this of concern since the other driver seems to be 'in charge'.

Thank you!
Bella
a b G Storage
September 11, 2012 8:44:23 PM

Are you using any programs to mount an ISO file as a CD/DVD drive? Those programs use a driver to do so, and the name of the driver is usually random characters like what you mention.

If you do use programs like that, you are in a bit of a grey area, since those programs can be used for pirated software. I'm not saying you are, but just be aware of the possibility.

Casey
m
l
September 19, 2012 2:47:38 PM

Thank you very much for answering, Casey.
While I have heard of ISO file/Cd...., it's out of my league technically. I'll ask someone to look at it when I can find someone.
So it seems I don't need to be concerned about my notebook running properly because of that error/driver, thankfully.
bb
m
l
!