Value SSD vs. HDD Speed Question

hscbandit07

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Hello,

I want to buy an inexpensive SSD to use for Windows and some games and I was looking on Newegg at some deals they have on SSD's. The problem is I'm not sure that the ones they have on sale are even faster than the HDD I have now... here is what I was looking at:

Kingston SSDNow V100 Series SV100S2/64GZ 2.5" 64GB SATA II Sequential Access - Read up to 250MB/s
Sequential Access - Write up to 145MB/s

or

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Sequential Access - Read up to 285MB/s
Sequential Access - Write up to 275MB/s

both would be right around $100 which would be a good deal. The problem is the speed...my HDD is rated at 300MB/S read/write which is faster than both of these.

Western Digital Cavier Green (WD10EARS) 1TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM SATA2 Hard Drive

Am I missing something? Should I even bother with getting an inexpensive SSD? Thanks for all your help!

Richard_nixon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
You have to remember there is no spin up time with a SSD.
No noise. Less heat.
And way faster access time.
And from what Ive read they should last about 3 times longer than a regular hard drive.

Loading up Windows and programs will be way faster from any SSD. But transfering that DVD image is another story.

hscbandit07

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
so if I buy one of these to load windows/office/etc... and use my HDD as a secondary I should see a decent improvement with my system? Right now I have 7.5/7.7 Windows score in everything except for my hard drive (5.9). I could buy the Kingston SSD for less than $100 and will buy it if it will really improve my computer.