UT2004 question. Official maps

I'm just starting to play UT2004. I tried to join a server that had a none
standard map "ONS-Ascendancy" but I got the message unable to down load and
was disconnected. The same thing happened on another server that had the
same map.

In my game settings the use standard maps only is unchecked.

What is going on can UT2004 download maps from a server or is there official
and none official maps that get blocked some how? So I have to go and
manually install all maps.

Thanks

Vis
4 answers Last reply
More about ut2004 question official maps

    That ONS-Ascendancy map is one of the 2 bonus XP maps so maybe you cant get
    official maps from a server only user made ones.

    Unless I'm wrong

    Vis

    "Visine" <lewis.baker1not@ntlworld.com> wrote in

    > That ONS-Ascendancy map is one of the 2 bonus XP maps so maybe you
    > cant get official maps from a server only user made ones.

    There's some discussion about this at http://www.ataricommunity.com/. The
    official maps have an official flag set that prevents the servers from
    downloading them. Most consider this a bug for post-sale official maps.
    Some have edited the maps on their servers to remove the flag, allowing you
    to download it but not doing so if you've already installed them from the
    official map pack.

    In addition to those two maps, grab ONS-Icarus, another "official" map that
    requires a separate download.

    Also, check out the key maps that tell you where everything is on all the
    ONS maps:

    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=363329

    ScratchMonkey <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> Blessed us
    with news:Xns94D77A42D3825scratchmonkey@216.196.97.136:

    > "Visine" <lewis.baker1not@ntlworld.com> wrote in
    >
    >> That ONS-Ascendancy map is one of the 2 bonus XP maps so maybe
    >> you cant get official maps from a server only user made ones.
    >
    > There's some discussion about this at
    > http://www.ataricommunity.com/. The official maps have an
    > official flag set that prevents the servers from downloading
    > them. Most consider this a bug for post-sale official maps. Some
    > have edited the maps on their servers to remove the flag,
    > allowing you to download it but not doing so if you've already
    > installed them from the official map pack.
    >
    > In addition to those two maps, grab ONS-Icarus, another
    > "official" map that requires a separate download.
    >
    > Also, check out the key maps that tell you where everything is
    > on all the ONS maps:
    >
    > http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3
    > 63329

    If you want a place that has *all* of these new maps and then some
    all in one place and you know how to surf an FTP site go here:
    This URL will put you in the *root* directory and allow you to
    browse maps of UT, UT2k3, and UT2k4.

    ftp://ftp.edome.net/mirror/beyondunreal/nalicity/

    For instance if you want to download Onslaught maps just add ut2k4ons
    to the end of this URL like so:

    ftp://ftp.edome.net/mirror/beyondunreal/nalicity/ut2k4ons

    Happy downloading and playing :-)

    HTH

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    Cool, that cleared that up. All a bit different from UT.

    Thank you for the FTP I'll check it out.

    Vis

Games Servers Video Games