HELP! Harddrive not reading on Windows

crowfm

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2012
I have a Seagate 500MB harddrive that i recently bought.
Upon hooking it up to my other MacBook (I originally own a windows 7 desktop), I accidentally formatted it through Time Machine Backups. losing all the content of the hard drive.

When I tried to recover the data through various programs I ran across a problem of my windows OS computers not being able to read the hard drive (Desktop & a windows laptop) but only being able to read it on mac computers. When I hook up the hard drive, it shows up on device manager etc but I am not able to access it or do anything to it.

I tried everything that I need to do when facing a general 'hard-drive not reading' issue, such as trying to set a HD location and so forth, but I don't think that is the problem I have here. I think the HD was formatted into a form which only a mac can read.

The content of the hard drive is not as important (Just random videos/music, nothing essential), but not being able to be read it on my main desktop is a problem.

Help me please!

Mac's can read FAT32, but more than likely it was formatted in Mac OS Extended (journaled), especially if he used it for Time Machine.

You can go to Control Panel, Administrator Tools, Disk Management, then find the drive in the list and right click on it and delete partition or volumes and then you should be able to make a new FAT32 or NTFS partition.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
If you still have your windows installation disk you could boot up with that and easily format it, I am sure there are other 3rd party programs out there as well. Windows, Mac, and Linux use differing formats and do not come with a native compatibility to each other.

But again if you have your windows installation disc you should easily be able to boot from it and use it's format tools or perhaps you may be able to do so in windows itself by just viewing the drive under computer, right click the drive, and select format.