Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Power Supply for eMachine

Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2010 6:06:42 AM

Quick question guys. I personally, aside from laptops have only owned about 1 prebuilt computer, as the majority of PC's I've owned have been custom builds, so I'm sure someone else may know this one. Someone is bringing me an eMachine which I think possibly has a blown power supply. However, I've not worked on too many eMachines. I know it's got vista loaded, so I would not think it's anymore than a couple of years old. My question is, do eMachines use a special power supply or special wiring configuration? Or can I simply use a typical ATX power supply, all the info I've read seems to suggest that I can, however, just double checking. If there is a special wiring scheme, is there an adapter or something that I would need? Thanks for the info.

More about : power supply emachine

Best solution

a c 144 ) Power supply
July 12, 2010 3:30:14 PM

eMachines are generally low-spec machines with standard parts.

You can sort of check the PSU by using a DMM. Measure between the colored wires
and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if
it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If I were going to replace an eMachine PSU, I'd use one of these:
Corsair 400CX (30 amp 12 volt rail)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 12, 2010 3:40:03 PM

Thanks for the info. I've actually been a tech, but haven't worked on many eMachines, actually worked on Macs for quite a while. But quite a few customs too. I know that a lot of the prebuilts used to be specialized. But was not 100% sure if that was still the case for their PSU's. Thanks again.
m
l
July 12, 2010 3:40:15 PM

Best answer selected by ohiou_grad_06.
m
l
!