Sign in with
Your question
Closed

2nd ssd issues?

Last response: in Storage
September 11, 2012 11:41:58 PM

So I just snagged a 90GB Kingston HyperX 3k SSD this past labor day for a steal at $60. I already have my windows and games installed on my original 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k SSD. I have both drives plugged in using the same power cable string but separate I believe Sata(much smaller slot then the power cable on the back of the ssd) slots on the on the motherboard and the blank 90GB SSD is not showing up. It shows up on boot menu and devices with no issues but it's not like in the "computer" window where I can go through my programs, see how much space is used/left etc. Any ideas?

More about : 2nd ssd issues

Best solution

a c 200 G Storage
September 12, 2012 12:15:40 AM

Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.

In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.

Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then click Next.

Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then click Next.

In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:

If you don't want to format the volume right now, click Do not format this volume, and then click Next.

To format the volume with the default settings, click Next.

Review your choices, and then click Finish.

microsoft.com
September 12, 2012 12:22:35 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.

In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.

Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then click Next.

Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then click Next.

In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:

If you don't want to format the volume right now, click Do not format this volume, and then click Next.

To format the volume with the default settings, click Next.

Review your choices, and then click Finish.

microsoft.com

I have windows 7 64b home premium. In my control panel I see no System and Maintenance tab/button. I am logged in on the Admin Account too. Any ideas?
Score
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 12, 2012 12:26:03 AM

Type "compmgmt.msc" in the run or search window and run it. That will take you to computer management, then start with "In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management. " from the above post.
Score
September 12, 2012 12:32:48 AM

Worked like a charm, thanks so much guys I was worried I couldn't use the same power strip string or something with non-raid setup! Whew :) 
Score
September 12, 2012 12:33:05 AM

Best answer selected by Dakir.
Score
a c 200 G Storage
September 12, 2012 12:44:53 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!