NForce 730i mobo, Nvidia or ATI? Hybrid SLI

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hello. I would like to know which one is better
I had the ATI Radeon 5850 and it took 30-40 seconds to POST, and eVGA was not willing to help, they blamed ATI, so they asked me to Flash the BIOS of the ATI Radeon 5850 card

So, I sold the card, and now I can POST in 3-5 seconds, I am using the integrated GeForce 9300 mGPU and I love how the computer feels fast again

Now, I was wondering if in Windows 7 64-bit I can get Hybrid SLI since I would like to have an Nvidia card, but only use it when I actually want to play video games

When I had my ATI Radeon 5850 it was blowing hot air out of the computer, making my room hot

That is another reason I got rid of the video card.

Anyway, let me know what are your suggestions, these are the things I want:

1) Fast BOOT
2) Use graphic card only when I actually need it (I can switch it in the BIOS, if that is the only way to do it, I'll be OK with that)

Therefore, the way I see it, ATI will be difficult now since I already have the experience of 30-40 seconds boot, and switching from Onboard to PCI Express graphics would be a pain in the ass

Xavier

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Graphic cards are usually in an "always-on" state. This means that when not playing games or doing any graphically intensive work, they will idle, but will not automatically switch off. You could disable them in BIOS when not required, but frankly, the whole idea is silly.
You could get the GTX 470. Or 480, if your budget allows.

Is it just me or does that not seem like the best suggestion?

@OP, what kind of games at what resolution are we talking about here?

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010

Well I certainly cannot recommend gtx 285 or 295. And he doesn't seem to want an ATI card. Or maybe, he'll have to wait until the rest of the Fermi's arrive.

Maybe it's just that Ati card that didn't work? Who knows? Hence the q's in my earlier post.

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Well the problem is that switching motherboards is a process that I don't want to do at the moment

eVGA service is as stupid as it can be

I told them about my ATI Radeon 5850 and all they told me is "FLASH your ATI card"

So if I buy another ATI card I will have to flash the BIOS, and I have no idea how to do that

So, before I buy ATI, I would like to know how to flash the BIOS and how to make my ATI Radeon 5830 work together with my nForce 730i

If the system boots in 3-5 seconds (like it does now), then I can disable the graphic card, for example, in a week in which I know I'll be mostly programming, checking email, and maybe watching Youtube or something like that

Now, if I feel like playing during the weekend, I can go to the BIOS, enable PCI Express as the first video output, and switch the cable.

The whole process should take around 10-20 seconds

but if I buy ATI, man, it can be 2 minutes in order to wait to enter the BIOS, and then restart the machine

Where is the best place to find a user with ATI Radeon 5830 and nForce 730i?

I've googled and I find my own post at eVGA forums :)

Right now I'm between ATI Radeon 5830 or GTX 465

I've heard the GTX 465 is a card that pretty much generates heat like crazy.

I had GTX 925 SLI and my mobo died and my Soundblaster Fatal1ty died as well, I hate Nvidia's card, they are too damn hot

You play Crysis, they'll go up to 94C

But I dislike waiting a minute every time I turn on my PC, so I'm having problems with ATI too

in all honesty the integrated graphic card seems the best option, but Starcraft 2 is coming, Prince of Persia too, so I want to play some games

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

I've read posts at other forums from people complaining about this, the nForce mobos take 35-45 seconds to POST

Some guy had an ASUS mobo and after a BIOS update it was fixed

So, my question is, can I install a BIOS from another brand since they both use the nForce 730i chipset?

If the BIOS update fails, how can I revert the process?

I really want to have ATI, the ATI Radeon 5770 seems pretty overclockable and for around $200 is a bang for the buck, plus it's cool and quiet