HDD + new SSD

Mit97

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
So i built my first pc 1 month ago with a 500GB Western Digital caviar blue
I just got my first SSD today, it is an OCZ agility 3 120GB ssd

My first qeustion is if i could put windows 7 on it (i have OEM version of 7) without deleting all my data on my current HDD

My second question is (if i cant re install windows) how can i move my games onto my SSD

(and this is my first post on toms hardware)

Solution
1) Disconnect your HDD.
2) connect SSD
3) Power on, go to Bios and verify Bios is set to AHCI
4) Install windows onto SSD using your OEM Win 7 Disk - THIS IS NOT A Problem. let windows do it's updates, load drivers and re-install all programs.

when install is complete, power down and reconnect your HDD when powering on go to bios and verfy that boot prioity is set to SSD

You should be able to daul boot to either the HDD or the SSD by hitting the key during Post that brings up a boot menu. You should beable to select HDD and can boot to it if needed. However the system will boot to the SSD if this key is NOT hit during post.
On my Gigabyte MB it is F12 and on my asrock MB it is F11.

In a couple of weeks (maybe a month) if every...

joe28gamerz

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
you will need a separate storage device to transfer your data to.. i.e pics, music etc. install 7 to the ssd and your 500gb will need to be formatted in 7 setup for windows to read it. games and other software will need to be reinstalled u cant just move them. then transfer your data back to ur 500gb. if your 500gb has a partition with data that data will be fine, no need to move but still games and other software will need to be reinstalled. hope this helps.

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

...Couldn't he just shrink the partition on the 500 to <120GB, clone it over to the SSD, then format the 500?

A reinstall seems rather unnecessary, and is kind of hard for a person with an OEM install...

1) Disconnect your HDD.
2) connect SSD
3) Power on, go to Bios and verify Bios is set to AHCI
4) Install windows onto SSD using your OEM Win 7 Disk - THIS IS NOT A Problem. let windows do it's updates, load drivers and re-install all programs.

when install is complete, power down and reconnect your HDD when powering on go to bios and verfy that boot prioity is set to SSD

You should be able to daul boot to either the HDD or the SSD by hitting the key during Post that brings up a boot menu. You should beable to select HDD and can boot to it if needed. However the system will boot to the SSD if this key is NOT hit during post.
On my Gigabyte MB it is F12 and on my asrock MB it is F11.

In a couple of weeks (maybe a month) if every thing is fine and dandy with SSD you can delete the OS from the HDD.
NOTE you should be able to copy your favorites from HDD -> SSD.

Also If the OS on the HDD was installed with the BIOS set to IDE, will cause a proble, BUT correctable.

Solution

joe28gamerz

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

im not shore if he has a partition

2 methods of transfering OS to a 2nd drive
1) cloning - this is a 1-> 1 sector by sector copy. NOT recommended for going from a HDD-> SSD. The partition will not be agligned. Can not go from a bigger partion to a smaller. If HDD is partitioned it will try to repartition the SSD. Will NOT enable trim, must edit the Registry. If HDD was set up as IDE MODE, most switch to ahci (preferably befor cloning)
2) Migration. Some software will corretly align and set up psartition. will auto resize - HOVER all files must fit new partition size. Can select programs/data that can be omitted.
an example is EasyUS and EZ-GigII.
http://www.easeus.com/?gclid=CJWI5-DisLICFdNxMgodDX4ADg
EZ Gig - the software is free,BUT you need a adaptor (ie a sata->USB.
software: http://www.apricorn.com/products/software/ezgig.html
Adaptor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161004

As I stated it is best to do a "clean" install when going from a HDD->SSD.
Windows 7 has a very good set of default drivers. after installation you visit the MB manuf webset and down load drivers that you want to replace the default drivers with.