Cy

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2004

My friends pc was heavily infected by trojans, spyware etc. I managed to
clean all this up and the last step was to install updates from the MS
website, i done this(he needed 23 security updates) and when i went to
restart the pc when the desktop appeared it had no icons or toolbar on it,
just the desktop background. Hitting the windows key does nothin, you cant
left click and system restore doesnt work. Everything is having to be done
through taskmanager.

When you leave the screen for a bit a pop up comes up saying explorer has
encountered a problem and needs to close and has two buttons you can click,
debug which does nothing and close which turns off the pc. Creating a new
task called explorer.exe or control.exe doesnt work either it just brings the
pop up back up.

Technical info for the pop up is Appname=explorer.exe, Modver=6.0.2800.1106,
Appver=6.0.2800.1106, Offset=000f7b46 and Modname=explorer.exe

Please help as this problem is driving both myself and my friend mad, thanks
in advance, cheers!

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 02:47:02 -0800, cy wrote:

> My friends pc was heavily infected by trojans, spyware etc. I managed to
> clean all this up and the last step was to install updates from the MS
> website, i done this(he needed 23 security updates) and when i went to
> restart the pc when the desktop appeared it had no icons or toolbar on it,
> just the desktop background. Hitting the windows key does nothin, you cant
> left click and system restore doesnt work. Everything is having to be done
> through taskmanager.
>
> When you leave the screen for a bit a pop up comes up saying explorer has
> encountered a problem and needs to close and has two buttons you can click,
> debug which does nothing and close which turns off the pc. Creating a new
> task called explorer.exe or control.exe doesnt work either it just brings the
> pop up back up.
>
> Technical info for the pop up is Appname=explorer.exe, Modver=6.0.2800.1106,
> Appver=6.0.2800.1106, Offset=000f7b46 and Modname=explorer.exe
>
> Please help as this problem is driving both myself and my friend mad, thanks
> in advance, cheers!

How did you clean up? Since updates were involved, was it a repair install?
Were there other steps taken besides the repair install?

With a repair install, possible damage to the base system files should be
addressed but there may still be residual damage in applications files, the
registry and possibly in the user profile.

What happens if you create a new user account? Does it have the same
problem as the old user account? If it works, transfer data over to the new
account for your friend. If no luck, it's possible to continue repairing
manually but the time and effort involved may outweigh the time and effort
of a clean install of operating system and programs. Repairing manually
would require researching each named trojan and bit of malware. Obtain
removal directions for each intrusion (files to delete, registry editing to
perform) posted at various sites on the internet.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User