Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cache?dont get it

Last response: in CPUs
September 9, 2010 6:47:02 AM

im about to buy and i5 760 it has 8mb l3 cache...which means what exactly?...also my current processor is an E5300 with an l2 cache of 2mb....whats the difference with l2 and l3 and what will i be able to notice ...thanks

More about : cache dont

September 9, 2010 7:25:53 AM

(Level 3 cache) A memory bank built onto the motherboard or within the CPU module. The L3 cache feeds the L2 cache, and its memory is typically slower than the L2 memory, but faster than main memory. The L3 cache feeds the L2 cache, which feeds the L1 cache, which feeds the processor.
September 9, 2010 7:39:31 AM

english, plz...
Related resources
September 9, 2010 7:51:21 AM

cool so uhhh....im gonna take the higher the better and leave it at that...thanks
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2010 8:00:36 AM

kreepa said:
im about to buy and i5 760 it has 8mb l3 cache...which means what exactly?...also my current processor is an E5300 with an l2 cache of 2mb....whats the difference with l2 and l3 and what will i be able to notice ...thanks

Explaining how cache operates and the difference between L2 and L3 is not a short answer. Do some reading here if you're interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache

Cache memory aside, the i5 760 will completely bury an E5300 in terms of pure performance. You will notice a HUGE difference.
September 9, 2010 8:32:11 AM

Think of it in terms of your larder, your local supermarket and the big cache (sic) & carry miles away. If you had to go the the cash & carry for a tin of beans, that would probably hack you off.
September 9, 2010 8:36:35 AM

doive1231 dude..i dont know what the fuckk your smokin man...but that was not helpful at all...thanks anyways...the rest thanks a bunch

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 9, 2010 12:11:39 PM

Cache can best be descrived as REALLY fast memory with VERY fast latencies (almost instant, especially the L1 cache).

Each level of cache on a CPU is slightly slower then the one before it. The fastest access comes from the L1 cache, but this is very limited in size. The L2 cache is bigger, but slightly slower then the L1 cache. Likewise, the L3 cache is the biggest yet, but is slower to access then the L2 cache.

In some CPU's, the L1/L2 cache is unique for each individual core [each core gets its own cache], and the L3 cache is a global pool all the cores can access (simmilar to normal RAM, just with faster access times really).

As such, a larger cache will to some degree increase performance, as a larger cache can hold more data that can be more quickly accessed by the CPU.

Theres a LOT more detail of course, but this is the easiest way to explain how the CPU cache works without going into specifics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache

Specifically, read up on the K8 cache architecture on this page for a more specific example:

September 9, 2010 8:19:49 PM

Best answer selected by kreepa.
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2010 8:32:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!