nibblonian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Currently, the system I have is:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
nForce 590 SLI
8 GB DDR2 PC2-6400
GeForce GTX 460 1024 MB

I was thinking about upgrading the CPU to an Intel Core 2 Duo E7500, and subsequently upgrading the motherboard to a GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L.

I was wondering if that pair was worth the investment, or is there a better combination in the ~$200 price range. The motherboard and CPU are the only two items that I'd like to upgrade, and I would like to avoid upgrading any other components to accommodate them.

Any insight that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
y do u need to upgrade?
can u still accomplish the things u want to?
maybe the easiest salution(and cheapest) would be a bit of OCing?
try to wait for a while till the intel i series prices go down, then buy 1 of those...

Reasons why the upgrade is not useful:
1. You are changing the platform. AMD --> Intel.
2. You are changing to something that is already outdated.
3. If you are looking at gaming and a little of future for you PC, then dual core maybe not good anymore.

I would suggest overclock now a little. Last it till January. Save some cash. Get SB or Core i7/i5. I am guessing a price drop for them after the SB comes out.

If you are inclined towards the AMD side, I would say a $150 now would be good and if you can last till Bulldozer which is rumored to be delayed till second half of 2011. But since SB is coming out earlier i would say wait till then and get one of those.

nibblonian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-motherboards,1749-9.html

Unfortunately, it does not.

Is there a particular CPU/Mobo combination you would suggest?