Sign in with
Your question
Solved

RAID Controller without RAID

Last response: in Storage
September 12, 2012 7:07:53 AM

Hi,

I have a issue where I need to connect 24 SATA HDD to the motherboard but doesn't want RAID. Is it possible to connect the HDDs to the RAID Controller without activating RAID, Will I be able to view them as seperate HDDs in My Computer?

Appreciate any suggessions.

Regards
Sudhi

More about : raid controller raid

September 12, 2012 7:53:18 AM

it depends on the raid controller. I know I have some cheap-o pci 4 port sata "raid" cards that I use in my storage server, they needed to be flashed with a non-raid firmware in order to use my 4 drives reliably.

from what I have learned about more expensive raid card is that some of them can be flashed with a "IT" firmware to allow you to use your drives independently.
m
l

Best solution

a c 76 G Storage
September 12, 2012 6:48:26 PM

sudhi_gs said:
Hi,

I have a issue where I need to connect 24 SATA HDD to the motherboard but doesn't want RAID. Is it possible to connect the HDDs to the RAID Controller without activating RAID, Will I be able to view them as seperate HDDs in My Computer?

Appreciate any suggessions.

Regards
Sudhi

This is rather easy and cheap too...

USB3.0 Single cable - limited bandwidth to 5.0Gb/s if speed is not an issue
USB3.0 Host <--> USB3.0 HUB <-- to five -> U3eSATA <--> SPM3726 <--> to HDDs

Or use TWO or more USB3.0 host to increase the bandwidth to 10Gb/s or more
Here are the critical parts the you need:

U3eSATA - USB3.0 adapter supports Port Multiplier allows USB3.0 single cable to see thru Port Multiplier
http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Support-Multiplier-Patent...

Internal Port Multiplier:
http://www.amazon.com/SPM3726-I-SATA-Port-Multiplier-in...

Keep in mind the concept for the JBOD - i mean true JBOD (just a bunch of drive) not BIG/SPAN that some stupid manufactures refer to as JBOD.

The use the PM bridge and convert it to USB3.0, of course you can use five or six eSATA port that support PM would work the same, but it does requires PM host eSATA/SATA

With USB3.0 pretty much plug and play
Related resources
September 14, 2012 8:54:52 AM

Thanks flank21 & firewire2 for the suggession.

I will try out ur suggession firewire.
m
l
September 24, 2012 12:13:52 AM

Best answer selected by sudhi_gs.
m
l
!