Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Memory upgrade

Last response: in Memory
April 15, 2011 11:03:08 PM

My mobo accepts DDR3 PC3 up to 10600 at 1333mhz. So, the question is can I use ANY PC3 10600? Crucial says no (have to use standard mem.) and Lenovo tech says yes as long as my power supply will supply the voltages. I'm a little confused. I mean, PC3 is PC3 right?? I want to use the crucial ballistic tracers. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You!

More about : memory upgrade

a b } Memory
April 16, 2011 12:59:16 AM

Welcome, Newcomer. Unfortunately, both people are correct. Some motherboards have compatability complexes. Meaning, just because the RAM fits, doesn't mean it will work. That being said, check your mobo manual or the manufacturer's website for a list of RAM that have been tested to work.

Alternatively, you could try crucial's memory advisor tool, if you haven't already. Although the memory advisor isn't a guarantee, I've never had a problem with RAM used based on the advisor's finidings.
m
l
April 16, 2011 3:09:51 AM

Thanks for the hospitality. The system board is an Intel IH57 series chipset that takes both PC3 8500 or PC3 10600. Lenovo tech support told me Crucial is gonna tell me only standard memory will work because they look at their files and my computer comes up as stock not knowing the mods that I have done. He insisted that any PC3 would work as long as I didn't go beyond the manufacturers specs... ie, if I don't go beyond PC3 10600. I don't know. Went to Kingstons site and their tool states PC3 8500 only. I don't know, really it's a crapshoot. At this point all I really can do is just try it. Honestly though, what's the real world difference from say "high performance" and "standard" memory? On paper, atleast to me, the only difference is the timings. I believe the Ballistix is 7-7-7-24 and the standard is 9-9-9-24. Does it really matter much?
Thanks!
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
April 18, 2011 10:29:43 PM

Well, in terms of frequency, higher ratings are typically for overclockers. Ideally, the goal, especially with overclocking, is to have a 1:1 ratio of RAM to CPU. With the "speed" potential of CPUs constantly increasing, the RAM technology follows along to reduce chances of bottlenecks. That being said, there is very little, if at all, noticeable difference in a practical sense. So, let's say that you decide to go with the 8500 because you have heard two similar opinions on the matter. Choosing the 8500 with tight(er) timings would arguably be better.

However, we're not just dealing with timings. In a perfect world, all parts would be compatible with each other. Since that is not the case, you must still consider that although the mobo can support 8500, there is no guarantee(unless you're using something recommended by the mobo manufacturer), that any product will work.

In my experience, I have yet to find a mobo that I couldn't run Crucial RAM on. Just keep in mind that a possibility of "no boot" or "no display" is incompatible RAM, not necessarily defective RAM.
April 18, 2011 10:37:39 PM

Thanks bro!
m
l
April 20, 2011 1:05:06 AM

RussK1 said:
Thanks bro!

Go to Crucials website and download the memory/ motherboard eval. Thats what I did and now have a perfect match of dual ddr3 2 gig sticks.
good luck,
dave
m
l
April 23, 2011 8:07:54 PM

Best answer selected by russwood1488.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
April 23, 2011 8:32:08 PM

RussK1 said:
My mobo accepts DDR3 PC3 up to 10600 at 1333mhz. So, the question is can I use ANY PC3 10600? Crucial says no (have to use standard mem.) and Lenovo tech says yes as long as my power supply will supply the voltages. I'm a little confused. I mean, PC3 is PC3 right?? I want to use the crucial ballistic tracers. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You!

Here's the REAL ISSUE, most any OEM BIOS do NOT allow adjustments of DRAM Frequency, CAS Timings, nor DRAM Voltage. Therefore, it becomes very important that the default 'SPD' matches your MOBO's capabilities. Worst, if you're ADDING more RAM then you MUST also perfectly match whatever RAM is currently installed. PC3 is an acronym of JEDEC, 10600 / 8 = 1333 MHz; there are (3) 'SPD' 1333 MHz standards 10600, 10660, & 10666.

Mixing RAM Frequencies, CAS timings, or worst voltages that are not compatible is a recipe for Post Failures and/or errors.

If you're adding use CPU-Z to identify you current RAM's specifications - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Example if you have 1333 MHz 9-9-9-24 @ 1.50v then ONLY get more of the exact same.

Good Luck! :) 

Example - current Frequency, CAS, Voltage:

Supported JEDEC Frequency, CAS, Voltage:
m
l
!