Sign in with
Your question

USB 3.0 is no faster than USB 2.0. How can I fix this?

Last response: in Storage
September 12, 2012 10:47:04 AM

I've got my Seagate Backup Plus Portable 1tb today (2.5'' 5400rpm). I've read good reviews about it and it's supposedly one of the fastest USB 3.0 external drives out there, but my experience wasn't exactly that.

In the reviews and benchmarks, I saw many people achieved 100-110 mb/s sustained speed. I only got 45 mb/s...

Yes, my laptop (Asus n53sn) has a USB 3.0 slot, and it's USB 3.0 driver is installed. I even read about "write to cache" thingy and activated it, but it made no noticable difference.

I also tried plugging the HDD to a regular USB 2.0 port and got a little popup warning from Windows saying that I could plug that into the USB 3.0 port to achieve "Super High Speed USB 3.0 connection"... The speed was exactly the same but when the file was %80-85 complete, it started getting a bit slower, but other than that, it's exactly the same speeds as the USB 3.0 port.

Very disappointed at the moment, I'm on a very tight budget right now, and I could have just bought a USB 2.0 drive for much cheaper. Is there a way I can fix this and achieve speeds that are at least noticably better than USB 2.0?

More about : usb faster usb fix

a c 88 G Storage
September 12, 2012 12:18:55 PM

USB 3.0 is a mess. Check and see if there's a firmware update for your motherboard and/or the USB add-in chip.
a c 104 G Storage
September 12, 2012 10:56:02 PM

Hi Aragis,

Download the trial version of HDTune, install it. Connect you new drive by the USB 3.0 port.
First, choose the new HDD from the drop down list

Then click on the Health tab to check all the SMART and temperature parameters.

Then click on the Benchmark Tab and let it run thru the full graph of Reading. When complete, save the screenshot to a file (tab at top) and if possible, upload the screenshot and post it for us to review. As second best, you could report the max rate, min rate, and average transfer rates of the drive. Also report the average accesss latency time near the bottom.

Remember you have to use a USB 3.0 cable to get the faster speeds, not just attach it to the ext HDD with a USB 2.0 cable. It will run but at the lower speed of course.

You could do the same tests using a USB 2.0 port for comparison.

Next do the same tests on your system HDD just for comparison.

This external HDD is spinning at 5400 RPM so it won't be as fast as a 7200 RPM drive, but for backup data that's not so important.

Report back as to your findings.

Related resources
!