Need Advice on Fast Desktop for $2k

doctorlove

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Hi all-

Edit: Updated with banthracis's template, thanks

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as I make a decision, probably within a month

BUDGET RANGE: $2k, but flexible, can do more if it makes it faster

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Speed in boot time and application running is my number one priority. The machine will be used for moderate gaming (no high requirement shooters, but some middle of the road stuff like Fallout 3), internet, Excel work.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: No peripherals, just need a box.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I'm familiar with New Egg but willing to use whatever is best

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference, but would like quality parts that will last

OVERCLOCKING: Prefer no

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe if appropriate

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200, already existing 23" Samsung LCD

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
-Quieter is better, but don't like the idea of liquid cooling for longevity's sake (is that an irrational concern?)
-Willing to pay more for an SSD, more & faster RAM, etc., if it helps overall speed and performance
-In summary, I hate waiting, and would like to put together a system that gets me as close to instantaneous program runs as possible.
-Needs to be Windows based
-I don't need the absolute pinnacle of video card performance, the games I play tend not to have massive requirements. But when I load Fallout 3 I want a pretty decent frame rate also. So maybe a single, good card?
-I don't need a fancy case, I'd rather it not be massive and covered in neon, a plain black box is preferable, but in the end it doesn't really matter to me what it looks like if it does what I want it to.
-I don't need a huge amount of hard drive space. A 300 gigs would probably be more than sufficient.

Price range, $2k, willing to push that for something that will be very fast and last.

Many thanks for any advice.

-DL