2nd hdd caddy make notebook freeze and cannot update BIOS

yoshan94

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I'm interrest to use SSD to be my primary hard disk, and after I goggled, I found that I can add a second hdd by using hdd caddy and attach the caddy in optical drive slot. I bought the caddy, and put my hard disk to the caddy, and put the caddy in my optical drive slot. After that, my notebook cannot boot, and also cannot go to the BIOS setup. It is freeze. Nothing happened. Windows logo is not appeared.

I googled my problem and found that I have to upgrade BIOS.

As an information, my notebook is Fujitsu Lifebook AH530, my hard disk is Hitachi SATA-II 320 GB (that is put in the caddy), my original optical drive is TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633B (manufacturer: Toshiba-Samsung).

I tried to update the BIOS, but I failed with an error message: "BIOS update failed! New BIOS is not compatible with the current system BIOS. New BIOS part number doesn't match system BIOS part number. Error code: -120. See the Help for troubleshooting."

I asked my failure of BIOS update to my notebook vendor, and got an answer that the version of my notebook are not same with the version of BIOS update program. Based on the part number of my notebook, I got an info that my notebook is a Singapore version, and I have to download the BIOS update from the Singapore version's site. I have downloaded and tried to install, but I still get the same error message.

I have two questions:
1. What's the relation between my BIOS and freeze condition when I use the caddy?
2. Why I cannot update my BIOS although I use the correct version? As an information, my part number is CP490833 and the current BIOS is Phoenix v1.07.

Plz help me and thanks before.

Notes: I hope I can use the caddy and attach my second hard disk.

Solution
I am in USA so I see the BIOS is V1.14. And you don't need to update your bios because the laptop works fine w/o the caddy-HDD.

Back to you question I think maybe the caddy problem. So try this go to bios setup, don't connect the caddy w/HDD. In the Submenu of the system menu, disable the drive1 ( for the caddy w/HDD, drive0 for the SSD). Exit the bios and turn off the laptop. Put in the caddy w/HDD. Turn on the computer, go to the BIOS again, you should be fine to boot the computer because the Drive1 is disable, next go to enable the Drive1, exit and saving, turn off.

Now if you can't boot up the laptop after enable the Drive1, that means the caddy don't work or compatible w/ your laptop.
1) Maybe you don't set the SSD is the first boot in the BIOS, because the most case DVD/CD is set to the 1st boot.
2) Do you get the V1.14 for the BIOS update.

I will do first thing that is take out the caddy w/HDD, only connect the SSD, go to the BIOS and set the SSD is first boot drive, only if you can't boot with your SSD that in the AHCI then you need to update the BIOS (V1.14). Exit the bios after saving, turn off the laptop. Connect the caddy w/HDD, boot the laptop to see you can use the laptop.

yoshan94

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

I have set the SSD as the first boot and remove the DVD from boot order. And my notebook still cannot boot and also cannot go to the BIOS setup, only if my caddy contains the hard disk. If the caddy is empty, or the optical drive slot contains my DVD-RW drive, my SSD can boot and go to Windows normally.

From Singapore site, there is BIOS update v1.16, and from UK site, there is BIOS update v1.16, and from US site, there is BIOS update v1.14. I have tried these three updates, but all of them failed to update my BIOS. I don't know from which site I can get the BIOS update.

Thanks before for your advices.

I am in USA so I see the BIOS is V1.14. And you don't need to update your bios because the laptop works fine w/o the caddy-HDD.

Back to you question I think maybe the caddy problem. So try this go to bios setup, don't connect the caddy w/HDD. In the Submenu of the system menu, disable the drive1 ( for the caddy w/HDD, drive0 for the SSD). Exit the bios and turn off the laptop. Put in the caddy w/HDD. Turn on the computer, go to the BIOS again, you should be fine to boot the computer because the Drive1 is disable, next go to enable the Drive1, exit and saving, turn off.

Now if you can't boot up the laptop after enable the Drive1, that means the caddy don't work or compatible w/ your laptop.

Solution

yoshan94

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

I have followed your suggestion. I disable Drive1 of my BIOS, and then I put my caddy in my notebook. As your prediction, my notebook can boot normally and can go to Windows and go to BIOS setup. Surprisely, when I boot to Windows and my Windows opened, my Windows detect automatically my harddisk in my caddy, and run normally. Now, my caddy work well. So, the solution is Drive1 must be off, so that I cannot use my harddisk in my caddy as boot disk. Of course, I don't need to update my BIOS.

Thanks for your help. Good morning from my country, Indonesia.