Un-partitioned my external drive, now I can't use it?

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I just removed the 2.5" 500GB hard drive from a laptop and put it in a usb 2.0 enclose, then deleted all the data off it. There were still two partitions though and I wanted to combine them into a single partition. I went to disk management and selected the two partitions and deleted the volumes, but now that I've done that there isn't any partition that shows up in My Computer.

I tried reconnecting the usb enclosure still windows doesn't recognize that I've plugged anything in. It's like my hard drive just disappeared. How do I fix this?

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
When the drive is connected vis USB is there a confirmation sound generated by your desktop?

Try:

Once connected, perform the following:
Right mouse click on Computer then click on Manage > Disk Management
Now right mouse click on Disk Management and select Rescan Disks (if greyed out) click on the system drive and right mouse click on Disk Management, the option should now be available.

If the above fails, are you able to view the drive on an alternate computer?

Would you be able to provide a screen shot of the Computer Management output?

That is b/c Windows cannot show you a drive letter of a partition that does not exeist. Once you create a primary partition it then gives it a drive letter so Windows can access it.. As long as there is no partition windows ignores the drive alltogether.

Thent