Sign in with
Your question

Problem with GTX 260?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 3, 2010 1:44:05 AM

Hello,
I have a problem with my GPU. When i enter a game, sometimes it frezes for some seconds and there r lots of glitches. And sometimes it goes outta color, when i quit the game there r lots of dots on the screen. They wont go away unless i reset the system.
This is my spec:

MB: Asus p5q
RAM: 3gb Patriot 800
CPU: Core2Dou E6550
GPU: EVGA GTX 260
PSU: ThermalTake 750w

I also checked the temperature of GPU, when Idle its 51c and after 2 hrs of playing for example GTA IV, it went up to 76c.

What can be the problem?

More about : problem gtx 260

a c 158 Î Nvidia
June 3, 2010 2:08:45 AM

It sounds like a failing GPU but the only way to know for sure is to try it in another system. Your temps are normal so I belief that you are keeping the heat sink on the card clean.
m
l
June 3, 2010 9:33:22 AM

Your temps are a little high, but nothing too much. Shouldn't cause problems. As said above, try it in a different system if you can. It sounds like you might have a faulty GPU.
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2010 5:28:05 PM

Try a stress test to duplicate the problem to isolate if it's hardware or software. Furmark, 3DMark06, etc.... if you get artifacts on these tests then for sure your GPU is damaged.

Also, underclock it by 15% using EVGA Precision. If the problem goes away, then you know that your GPU is struggling to run at its factory or stock settings.

In the meantime install the latest drivers.
m
l
June 9, 2010 12:45:50 AM

hundredislandsboy said:
Try a stress test to duplicate the problem to isolate if it's hardware or software. Furmark, 3DMark06, etc.... if you get artifacts on these tests then for sure your GPU is damaged.

Also, underclock it by 15% using EVGA Precision. If the problem goes away, then you know that your GPU is struggling to run at its factory or stock settings.

In the meantime install the latest drivers.

I used 3dMark Vantage 1.0.3.1 and the same thing happened again during the benchmark. My driver is up-to-date too. But after some secs i got this message: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". I ran the benchmark in underclocked AND normal mode, both times it happened. Is there any software to ensure that the GPU is faulty or ok. Some kinda test like HDD test. I dont have anyone to swap the gpu on his/her system :/ 

m
l
June 9, 2010 12:53:27 AM

btw my card was like this from the start, I just thought it might have been a software or driver problem.
m
l
June 9, 2010 4:26:39 AM

Check if EVGA has a 3 year or lifetime warranty on that videocard. I always recommend XFX. My XFX GTX 260 has a double lifetime warranty, meaning when I sell it, the card will be under warranty.

Furmark can stress test your GPU.
m
l
June 9, 2010 9:04:43 PM

Mullet35 said:
Here ink that helped me when I had a problem with my GTX260
http://www.nvlddmkm.com/
Just go through it and see how you go :-))

Thanx dude I changed Performance Manage Mode in nVidia cp to "prefer maximum performance"
AND I ran a stability test with FurMark 1.8.2 and there were nearly no artifacts on the screen. I was like WOW!!! *very happy, was havin' a party in my belly* ;) )

BUT when i ran GTA EFLC, the same * happened again :( ((

I ran some other games, the same .................

and most of the solution on that site were regarding Vista, I hav W7 x86

:( 
m
l
June 10, 2010 4:31:12 AM

Sounds like software.... did you reset the global settings to default in the Nvidia control panel?
m
l
June 17, 2010 4:05:52 AM

yes i did, it still happens. I give up :/ 
Gonna take the Card to the Guarantee Service. :( 
m
l
!