New sata hdd does nothing

brattys

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Hi just installed new internal sata hdd power up pc nothing happens , won't boot from cd no bios nothing help ????? :??:

Solution
That leads me to believe it's the motherboard, may be something got shorted out while installing the new drive. Is there a way you can test all components on a different board? At this point thats the only thing I can think of.

drjiga

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Is GPU outputting anything at all on the screen? Do the fans come on?

If the screen is black, make sure GPU is connected to the power-supply and seated properly (if not using integrated one).

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Sorry but am I missing something here?

You stated HP AMD 64x2 3200 4GB of RAM but the MB is ASUS??

So is the system an HP based system or an HP case with an ASUS mobo in it?

Will the system POST without the HDD?

Will the system post with the old drive?

Can this new drive be accessed externally?

Thanks

brattys

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I bought this used I believe mb is upgraded to asus it is hp case and hdd which has failed and I'm replacing it with no luck, the system has stopped posting, it was until I changed hd , it won't post with old hd, or without, I have the case open drive is accessible. thanks

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

+1

Regardless of the of HDD if it is connected or not, the system should still post. You may also try defaulting the BIOS or try locating the BIOS reset pins or remove the mobo battery and then try rebooting.

Silly question, but is power supplied to the mobo and does the power supply fan spin up when turned on?

drjiga

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
That leads me to believe it's the motherboard, may be something got shorted out while installing the new drive. Is there a way you can test all components on a different board? At this point thats the only thing I can think of.

Solution