My USB flash drive 32gb needs formatting but wont actually formatt

Status
Not open for further replies.

sophiep24

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Help!
I just bought a 32GB SanDisk USB flash drive and started uploading photos onto it. The uploading failed so i removed the flash drive and now when reinserted it says the flash drive needs formatting. I've tried formatting the flash drive and it starts the process then says that the formatting cannot be completed. Im not worried about loosing anything on the flash drive I just want it to work because i've only just bought it!
Thank you

Try to remove and reinsert the drive or even use another port. If that fails and you can not format it, The drive may be defective and need to be replaced.

If you have another system to test on, it rules out software issues on your end as well.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Plug in your 32GB flashdrive, then go to DiskManagement. May need to scroll down in the graphics section to see it, but it should be there. It will tell you if it is formatted or unallocated space.

It is too large to be formatted with FAT16, and could be too large for FAT32. Did you try to format it with NTFS, just like your other HDD's. I've formatted many USB drives that way and have never had a problem.

sophiep24

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Nuke-master I will have to wait until my housemates return and I will try it in another computer to see if it is a software problem or the memory stick itself! Thank you

John_Van_Kirk I cannot seem to find disk management I've looked everywhere for it. I only have the option to format with fat32 or exfat? I'm not very computer literate so I'm not sure what this means. Thank you

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hi Sophie,

To get to disk management, right click on My Computer, choose Manage, then in the MSC Computer Management dialog box, lower left, is Disk Management.

You may have to scroll down to see your attached FlashDrive.

Could you please tell us what color band is above the right column (volume column) and exactly what it says below that.

Also if you right click in that area, (context menu) you will see several choices.
If delete volume is there, click on it to delete whatever is on the flashdrive. It should then say Unallocated Space. Then there should also be a choice to format the flashdrive. Choose NTFS, the standard allocation unit, and hopefully that will work. It may take 15 minutes or so.

Let us know how you do.

I would like to point out that if you are using the flash drive on for many systems or systems with different operating systems. FAT32(as long as you can live without being able to use files over 4gigs in size) may still be the best option.

If you are having issues with Disk Management, the fastest way is to just type diskmgmt.msc into the start search(Start) or run(Start + R) box.

sophiep24

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Problem solved!
Im plugged the flash drive into my boyfriend's computer and it formatted straight away on there and now works! Thank you for your help.

Reece Corr

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Reece Corr

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
ok when you try to access the drive and windows forces you to try and format it go ahead when the format window pops up take a look at the volume label box and if its empty just name your drive in there put anything you want in it now do a quick format and hey presto windows should now reformat it

Oct 16, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.