What happens if I remove rocket raid 1740

Bernie_65

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Rocket Raid is giving me a headache. I'd like to pull it out and uninstall it. However, I have 3-hard drives, only one of which Raid sees and I'd like to know if I can just install these to my motherboard. Some say once the drive is "Raid Array" it won't work without Raid.

You'd lose everything on the drives. You'd have rebuild the OS and have 2 additional drives for storage. Your system would still see the drives, and Windows would see them as empty drives, and you'd have to partition them and format them, just like any new drive.

electroken

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

I am inclined to think you are incorrect in your answer here. I have one of these cards in my computer and it had 4 250gb wd hard drives on it. When I tried to use the drives after replacing them with larger drives in a JBOD array I was unable to use them as they would not be seen by my motherboard. I am referring to the four drives I removed, those (4) 250gb wd. Those drives were put back on the card and I then deleted the raid array of which they were a part. I put them back to being single drives and were identifed as being normal on the card's bios window. I tried to use them to no avail. I then tried another way to make the drives be seen by having the card make them be a JBOD array and they are then shown to be initialized in the card bios utility. I again tried to use them on the computer's sata ports with no success.
I should temper that "no success" statement. The drives will seem to be seen by hard disk manager and I was able to repartition them and format the partition. I then mounted the drives and they were then seen by the system motherboard and winXp, but ONLY until I removed power and shut down the computer. When power was turned back on and WinXP rebooted, the drives were no longer seen by the system.
When I then put those drives back on the card, they were able to be seen again.
I was only able to move the drives off the card and onto a sata port on the motherboard if I did that without taking power off the drive and without turning off the computer first. In other words, it was done while the system was up and running winxp.
I think that the rocketraid 1740 writes the mbr on the drives to another spot in the boot block on the drive and the only way to keep the drive running without the card is to never remove power from the drive. This is not a practical solutiion.
I wonder if anyone has a way to move the mbr back to the spot where it needs to be to be seen by a normal system bios.

electroken

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
I wish someone would realize what we are asking here. My card works fine and can run now with new drives etc. I am talking about re-using the drives I had on the card before replacing them with larger drives. Those drives seem to be useless to me now unless someone can tell me how to make that work. I think the mbr is moved over so that that card can write something in the first sectors to enable the raid configuration.
If anyone can tell us how to put it back where it belongs and have the drive act as a normal drive, I would be grateful.