Sign in with
Your question

Advice on a ~$1500 gaming / general use build

Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2010 7:28:05 PM

As per the topic, I've been researching a new computer recently and have compiled my research in a google document published here, complete with my analysis and links.

I'm totally new to building my own system, and this project has been a learning experience. In particular, I'm looking for advice on what mobo to invest in, whether my PSU is sufficient, whether I've missed anything, etc. etc.

For convenience, I've copy/pasted a simplified summary:

Priorities
• Multitasking: I use tons of tabs and regularly have multiple programs running (I don't do any video editing or encoding, though).
• Reasonably future proof: I'd like to be able to upgrade in the future without having to replace too many core parts (i.e., mobo or processor). I don't mind upgrading other parts.
• Must be quiet.
• Must be reliable and stable.
• I'm looking for a responsive system that doesn't have any bottlenecks.
• I want to do some gaming, but I don't necessarily need to run next-gen games at the highest settings (I do want to be able to play them smoothly at lower settings, though).
• Resolution: 1920 x 1080
• I don't intend to overclock. I am willing to underclock if it helps keep noise below a reasonable level and doesn't bottleneck performance.
• Budget: ~$1500 (less than $2000, tops)

Case
NZXT Whisper - $120

Mobo
?

CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban ($200)

GPU
Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 - $195

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 - $100

HDD/SSD
Intel X25-M 80GB - $220
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 in software raid 1 - $100x2 = $200

DVD Drive
LITE-ON DVD Burner - $24

PSU
Corsair HX CMPSU 750W OR 850W

Sound Card?

Monitor
Sceptre X270W HDMI 27" Widescreen - $310

Keyboard
Rosewill RK-7300 Black, $15

OS
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OEM - $140

Total $ so far = $1404
a b B Homebuilt system
July 12, 2010 11:28:03 PM

1. This is actually in the wrong section. Should be in new build section and you should fill out the form in sticky, link in my sig.

2. If you decide on Intel, you'll have to get a new mobo practically every time you wanna upgrade CPU as they release new sockets yearly.

3. If you're not using any workstation software, 6 cores in pointless. Everyday browsing/office are not threaded at all, and even gaming is limited pretty much to 3 threads.

4. Factory overclocked GPu's are not worth the money. You're paying someone ~$40 to press 4 buttons for you in ATI overdrive.

5. RAM you want the 4gb cas 7 ddr3 1600 kit $95 with promo code ATM on newegg.

6. 27" is pushing it for 1920x1080, things begin to look pixelated. You're better off with a 23.6" or 24". 23.6" acer for $160 on newegg am
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

7. You can save a lot of money by using Spinpoint F3's instead. 1TB are $75 atm on newegg.

8. Don't need a 750w PSU. You'll be fine with a corsair TX 650.

9. Case is not the best. Antec P series is probably the best.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For more on how to quiet your PC, check out
http://www.silentpcreview.com/
m
l
!