brutalspoon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Hi everybody,

I'm not sure where the best place was to put this thread; seeing as I built the computer, I suppose it'll go here. Feel free to move it there's a more appropriate board for it to live in.

So, recently I've noticed that whenever I've started up my PC there's been a few green pixels which move around where there should be black pixels, and tend to crowd around objects on screen. I turned on my PC to take an example video and... well... you can see SOMETHING's not right.

My thoughts are either a failing graphics card or PSU. I haven't done any overclocking, and my PSU was able to handle two graphics cards at once (I had my old 9800GTX+ in there for PhysX earlier), so I'm thinking it's more likely a graphics card problem. I don't think it's a cable or monitor problem because 99% of the time it's fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
BrutalSpoon

brutalspoon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Sorry for the double post - I'd edit the one I just made but for some reason the forum's forbidding me to edit my message :s

For those who can't be bothered to leave the page, here's an embedded version of the video:

[flash=640,373]http://www.youtube.com/v/HXduSi8HvoA&hl=en_GB&fs=1?hd=1[/flash]

brutalspoon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

I'm running it at 1440x900, but it's not like it's going to be overloaded on the bios and boot screens, is it?

The card is now idling at 46°C, which does seem a bit on the hot side.

For the record (somehow I managed to not include this) it's an XFX 5850.

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

For the record 46°C on idle is not hot it's pretty normal.

Temperature.png

aberchonbie

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

doesn't mean his card isn't defective.. green spots? on a new card? MOST LIKELY a card issue, ESPECIALLY if it's running in card specs

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

I never said it wasn't defective. In fact I agree with you that it is. All I said was that 46°C on idle is not hot. Do you agree with that?

brutalspoon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Once again I just want to thank you guys for the advice and benchmarks. Tom's Hardware forums and the people in it really are awesome.

I've sent XFX a support ticket which they should hopefully reply to sometime today. For the record, the card (and the rest of the components) is about 6 months old. Not that it really makes its failure any more acceptable, but just adding some more information to the melting pot.

TRENDING THREADS