Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

NVidia vs ATI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 3, 2010 7:00:08 AM

OK, I am planning to start building my first proper gaming machine and am comparing the
NVidia 1GB 1280M GTX 470 ASUS
and the
ATI 1GB 5870 ASUS
I am only buying one for now.
It would probably be going into a
ASUS P6X58D Premium Motherboard with a i7-930 CPU, probably about 6gb ram (do I really need more?)
Thanks for your help

More about : nvidia ati

June 3, 2010 7:24:48 AM

A 5870 will stay above 60 fps in more games on higher settings more often than a 470, it's tit for tat with these cards, but i've noticed that the GTX often gives performance where it does not matter at times it does not matter more than the 5870 gives performance where it does matter.

There is always the potential of newer drivers from nVidia remedying this however.

The 5870 also runs cooler and quieter than the 470.
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 7:30:34 AM

Also i think 6gb ram is excessive for gaming, anything over 2 gb has never been shown to make a difference for this purpose.

There are other uses for more ram however, there are so very ram intensive professional applications out there, if you need it for work then go for it.

I'd also say that an i7 is excessive for one card unless you plan to add another.

A quad core at 2.4 ghz will not bottleneck a 5870 or GTX 470 and a quad core (Q6600 for e.g.) system could be much cheaper, you can always overclock to 3 ghz if you think it would give you more performance.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 3, 2010 8:02:29 AM

good system. 4gb of RAM is the so called 'sweet spot' so in a triple channel system 6gb is probably what you want.

as for the GPU, the 5870 is the better card. but its also more expensive. honestly, the 470 is the better value performance per dollar (but is also hotter and uses more power). but if you can afford the 5870, it will give you better frames in most games.
m
0
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 3, 2010 9:36:17 AM

Yes, get (3x2GB) of RAm and run them as triple channel.
For the card, if you can buy it then grab HD5870.
The rest of your system are good... :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 3, 2010 10:40:50 AM

Mpyra said:
Also i think 6gb ram is excessive for gaming, anything over 2 gb has never been shown to make a difference for this purpose.

There are other uses for more ram however, there are so very ram intensive professional applications out there, if you need it for work then go for it.

I'd also say that an i7 is excessive for one card unless you plan to add another.

A quad core at 2.4 ghz will not bottleneck a 5870 or GTX 470 and a quad core (Q6600 for e.g.) system could be much cheaper, you can always overclock to 3 ghz if you think it would give you more performance.



Nonsense, a socket 775 system would be a poor choice at this time. If he wants to save cash he should either go with an i5 or a Phenom II. 6Gb is fine with the i7 because of the tripple channel.
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 1:53:06 PM

5870 all the way, baby.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 3, 2010 2:35:00 PM

ATI HD5870 it is. It is actually more at par with the 480GTX. Therefore it will be more expensive than the 470GTX but if you can afford it, go for it. The cost of ownership is lower in the long term since it runs cooler and eats up less power...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 4:03:48 AM

randomkid said:
ATI HD5870 it is. It is actually more at par with the 480GTX. Therefore it will be more expensive than the 470GTX but if you can afford it, go for it. The cost of ownership is lower in the long term since it runs cooler and eats up less power...


Most of what you have said is true, but i think it should be pointed out that the 480 is considerably more powerful than a 5870. they are not on par. but as you have said, as well as being more expensive it is hotter and more power hungry. I would not choose it over a 5870, but it is a more powerful card
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 8:11:45 AM

ATI HD5870 it is. It is actually more at par with the 480GTX. said:
ATI HD5870 it is. It is actually more at par with the 480GTX.


lol at this. i appreciate fanboy enthusiasm based on facts, but those based on fiction is a big lolerskate scenario.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 11:29:10 AM

wh3resmycar said:
lol at this. i appreciate fanboy enthusiasm based on facts, but those based on fiction is a big lolerskate scenario.

What is fiction about saying 5870 is more at par with 480GTX ( than the 470GTX )?

Professional reviewers pit the 5870 with the 480GTX.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

But take note that even while the 480GTX beats the 5870 by 13% in terms of performance, the 5870 is still the better card overall considering price & power/heat factors. Only an nVidia fanboy will suffer the heat and the bigger electric bill that comes along with the 4XXGTX crap... :pt1cable: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 11:37:46 AM

welshmousepk said:
Most of what you have said is true, but i think it should be pointed out that the 480 is considerably more powerful than a 5870. they are not on par. but as you have said, as well as being more expensive it is hotter and more power hungry. I would not choose it over a 5870, but it is a more powerful card

My answer is the same as above. I did not say they are at par. I was saying that the HD5850 is more at par to the 480GTX compared to 470GTX.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
It is the same article as in the above but just a different page to show what I mean.

But I appreciate that you put your comment nicely unlike wh3resmycar who probably just rides on your comment and doesn't actually know what he's talking about. ;) 
m
0
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 4, 2010 11:45:19 AM

^
Agree with randomkid above...
GTX 480 beats HD5870, but with a little margin point, power hungry, lots of noise, expensive card.
I would still choose HD5870... :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
June 4, 2010 4:27:46 PM

randomkid said:
. Only an nVidia fanboy will suffer the heat and the bigger electric bill that comes along with the 4XXGTX crap... :pt1cable: 


TROLL
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 4:40:52 PM

notty22 said:
TROLL

Yes, sorry. I take it back... :) 
m
0
l
!