• Nvidia
  • Corsair Dominator
  • SLI
  • Physx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 3, 2010 7:09:20 AM

Hi guys,

Im running 2x 250GTS 512MB cards in sli. One of them is the standard edition (In Primary Sli Slot) and the other is the OC edition (Secondary slot).

The rest of my specs are as follows - Phenom II 965, 2x2GB Corsair Dominator Ram, 750a Asus MoBo, 850W Modular Corsair PSU. Using win 7 64x OS.

Which should I dedicate to PhysX Processing? My Primary Sli card (Standard), Secondary Sli Card (OC version) or my Processor?

Also, does anybody know if 4GB ram (2x2gb ddr2 1066 Corsair Dominator) is enough for gaming these days??

Thanks in advance for any support!

More about : sli physx dedicate physx

June 3, 2010 7:57:21 AM

Physx is not worth any dedication.. And 4GB of RAM is plenty good for any game out there.. It'll take some time when 4GB comes as the minimum requirement..
a b Î Nvidia
June 3, 2010 8:06:13 AM

When running games that actually use GPU accelerated Physx I believe you will get the best performance from disabling SLI and dedicating one card entirely to Physx.
June 3, 2010 9:18:19 AM

jyjjy said:
When running games that actually use GPU accelerated Physx I believe you will get the best performance from disabling SLI and dedicating one card entirely to Physx.

Don't think so, turning physx on does not reduce the performance with 60% - which is the average (more or less) gain with SLI.

Don't dedicate any of the cards.
June 3, 2010 6:23:13 PM

If all your graphics cards are in SLI together, you can run GPU PhysX as well, but it will run on the primary card in the SLI array. There is nothing you can do to change this at present. Games that use PhysX heavily (Batman and Cryostasis) can suffer from performance degradation if PhysX is running on the primary SLI card.

If your motherboard has 3 PCI-E slots, you can run 2 cards in SLI and one separately for PhysX, but the dedicated PhysX card must be of a different model to the SLI cards. If it is the same, you will only be permitted to enable Tri-SLI and then PhysX will run on the primary card.

So, with SLI GTS250s, you could use, say, a 9800GT in the third slot for PhysX.
June 4, 2010 9:30:24 AM

Can I just say - although not yet official - the new 257.45 drivers (beta) are out and you can dedicate your physx to either Card (even in sli) or your cpu.

So again, which would be best for nvidia physx (taking into consideration all above mentioned specs).

Thanks
a c 173 Î Nvidia
June 4, 2010 10:38:26 AM

I would suggest that you swap the cards around and run the OC'd card in the primary slot and then just experiment with the PhysX settings on each game that it makes any difference in until you get a result that your happy with.
!