markes12344

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Trying to install windows 7 or 8 32bit onto my notebook via usb.
both load and work up until they try to find a HHD, but none can be found.

So using CMD before the install i am into DISKPART
my list disk is something like this

Disk # stat Size Free
Disk 0 online 83gb 0b

i tried clean and delet as well as a create partition primary, but no matter what i can't get the 90gb corsair SSD to read with some free space.

What can i be doing wrong, what can i try and do to make a full partition on the drive so windows installation can read the disk?

Seems to be some confusuion about what the actual problem is.
Are you saying Windows Setup cannot find the SSD?, or are you saying it can find it but reports no free space on it?
From your post you seem to be saying both, but that just doesn't make sense. It can only be one or the other.
Please clarify.

markes12344

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
sorry but it is both. windows instalation can not find the SSD, yet bios and diskpart can find it. just diskpart cant find any free space, nor do i know how to put free space on it,

so really my question is how do you remove everything, in a sense back to factory output from the factory. then partition a full section/make free space on the drive via diskpart. in order for what i hope will make windows installation be able to find the drive.

As you probably know, Windows will only install on to an empty partition. If the SSD already has a single partition on it with no unallocated (unpartitioned) space remaining, the only way to install a fresh copy of windows on it is by first deleting the existing partition, creating a new partition, then installing Windows on that new partition. You can do all that with Windows Setup.

As for Windows Setup not being able to see the SSD, try plugging it in to another SATA port or make sure the connection is sound on the existing port. If there's a regular hard drive installed at the same time, remove it, then try running Windows Setup.

Another matter which needs consideration, have you checked your laptop manufacturer's website to check if Win7 drivers are available for it if it didn't ship with Win7 pre-installed? If they don't have Win7 drivers for it you could have problems getting everything to work because laptop drivers are custom-made and are therefore only available from the laptop manufacturer.