Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Replacing my GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 3, 2010 8:11:39 AM

When I put my XFX RADEON HD 5770 in my MoBo the computer will turn on but nothing loads not even the bios.

MoBo-- Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-SLI (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

I also have a 750 watt Power Supply.

More about : replacing gpu

a c 189 U Graphics card
June 3, 2010 9:30:39 AM

Did you attach the 6pin power connector?
try to boot with safe mode, if you succeed then you have a driver problem...
m
0
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
June 3, 2010 9:32:33 AM

wait, you said that you even can't get into BIOS?
make sure all the components are properly installed, check all the cables.
Try boot with only 1 stick of RAM...
m
0
l
Related resources
June 3, 2010 3:44:55 PM

If the card isnt plugged, in the monitor wont display the boot up sequence - right?

Do as wa1 suggested - make sure the power connector is in place. Is the hard drive blinking as the system restarts or is it dead also?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 3, 2010 3:55:03 PM

Did you clear the CMOS on your motherboard? Newer motherboards have a button to reset while older ones have jumpers. Taking out the battery out of the motherboard for several seconds would do the same.
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 4:11:25 PM

Ya i had the 6 pin attached... and I can turn the comp on and everything turns on... but the bios does not start at all... now i did have an issue at first where the comp would turn on for about half a second and then turn of... but that fixed itself... could the GPU be DOA? oh and sometimes it still will turn on for half a second and off, but if i turn it on about 3 times in a row it stays on fine... oh and keep in mind that none of this happens when i put my old GPU in. oh and the HDD light is blinking so i know it is on.
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 5:46:06 PM

Anyone got any ideas? I've been searching, but found nothing.
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 6:00:27 PM

Quote:
Possibly a dead card. What was the prior GPU?


it is an -- NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT (256 MB)
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
June 3, 2010 6:01:46 PM

It is possible that you purchased a pci-e 2.1 spec card which is known to have issue with some boards. If all else fails I suggest that you RMA your card to either ware you bought it or the manufacture.
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 6:04:14 PM

nforce4max said:
It is possible that you purchased a pci-e 2.1 spec card which is known to have issue with some boards. If all else fails I suggest that you RMA your card to either ware you bought it or the manufacture.



Well I am going to be upgrading my MoBo ram and processor in about a month... but the GPU I just purchased should work with my old MoBo. Could it be a DOA? and how do I check and make sure that it is a DOA before sending it back?
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 6:05:41 PM

Oh and would a dead card even start up? The fan runs on the card when I start the comp up.
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
June 3, 2010 6:30:26 PM

bonehead012 said:
Oh and would a dead card even start up? The fan runs on the card when I start the comp up.



They can unless the power stage on the card isn't providing any power at all and in that case not even the fan would spin. Got a friend, family member, coworker who is willing to let you test your card in their pc to rule it out??
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 6:36:32 PM

nforce4max said:
They can unless the power stage on the card isn't providing any power at all and in that case not even the fan would spin. Got a friend, family member, coworker who is willing to let you test your card in their pc to rule it out??


Ya I think i got a friend.. but I was just reading a thread that states that the 5770, because it uses pci-e 2.1, has compatibility issues with some older MoBo's, and that i need to find a Bios update... but i cant find my MoBo's bios on the web at all =(.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 173 U Graphics card
June 3, 2010 7:10:24 PM

bonehead012 said:
Ya I think i got a friend.. but I was just reading a thread that states that the 5770, because it uses pci-e 2.1, has compatibility issues with some older MoBo's, and that i need to find a Bios update... but i cant find my MoBo's bios on the web at all =(.



You got a fairly old board you might find it but may not do much to help your problem. Either test it to make sure it works on a more modern PC or RMA saying that its dead as dead gets.
Share
June 3, 2010 9:26:06 PM

Best answer selected by bonehead012.
m
0
l
!