bonehead012

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
When I put my XFX RADEON HD 5770 in my MoBo the computer will turn on but nothing loads not even the bios.

MoBo-- Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-SLI (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

I also have a 750 watt Power Supply.

Solution

You got a fairly old board you might find it but may not do much to help your problem. Either test it to make sure it works on a more modern PC or RMA saying that its dead as dead gets.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
If the card isnt plugged, in the monitor wont display the boot up sequence - right?

Do as wa1 suggested - make sure the power connector is in place. Is the hard drive blinking as the system restarts or is it dead also?

bonehead012

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Ya i had the 6 pin attached... and I can turn the comp on and everything turns on... but the bios does not start at all... now i did have an issue at first where the comp would turn on for about half a second and then turn of... but that fixed itself... could the GPU be DOA? oh and sometimes it still will turn on for half a second and off, but if i turn it on about 3 times in a row it stays on fine... oh and keep in mind that none of this happens when i put my old GPU in. oh and the HDD light is blinking so i know it is on.

bonehead012

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

Well I am going to be upgrading my MoBo ram and processor in about a month... but the GPU I just purchased should work with my old MoBo. Could it be a DOA? and how do I check and make sure that it is a DOA before sending it back?

They can unless the power stage on the card isn't providing any power at all and in that case not even the fan would spin. Got a friend, family member, coworker who is willing to let you test your card in their pc to rule it out??

bonehead012

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

Ya I think i got a friend.. but I was just reading a thread that states that the 5770, because it uses pci-e 2.1, has compatibility issues with some older MoBo's, and that i need to find a Bios update... but i cant find my MoBo's bios on the web at all =(.

You got a fairly old board you might find it but may not do much to help your problem. Either test it to make sure it works on a more modern PC or RMA saying that its dead as dead gets.

Solution