Display problem HP Laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 6, 2004 7:41:30 AM

WinXP Home SP2
HP Pavilion Notebook zt1150
15 in. LCD screen

I recently started up my laptop and the display won't fill the entire
screen. It's stuck at 640 x 480 and 4 bit Color Quality (lowest). I
can change the resolution to 1024 x 768 in 32 bit color, but when I
click Apply, it goes back to 640.

I tried the Troubleshoot option, but none of the Help suggestions
worked. The correct display driver is installed, the S3 Graphics
Twister 0020103C (Microsoft Corporation). I uninstalled that and
reinstalled the driver. I also tried installing the older S3 driver
that came with my HP Recovery Disks.

In the Advanced tab of the Display Control Panel, under the Color
Management tab , it says, "Current monitor: Generic Television." I
suspect this is the source of the problem. The laptop is not hooked up
to my TV, although sometimes I watch programs on the TV using the
S-video port.

The Monitor drivers in the Device Manager are Default Monitor, Digital
Flat (1024x768), and Generic Television.

When I come out of Standby, the colors are black and white. I have to
adjust the Color Quality to make it go back to multi-colored (what
passes for normal on the screen right now).

The major changes I've done to the system recently are an install of
Norton Systemworks 2005 Premiere, adding 512 MB of RAM a few months ago,
and replacing a failed inverter on the LCD screen (which has so far
worked out).

Any help would be appreciated...

More about : display problem laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 6, 2004 7:41:31 AM

Poof wrote:
> WinXP Home SP2
> HP Pavilion Notebook zt1150
> 15 in. LCD screen
>
> I recently started up my laptop and the display won't fill the entire
> screen. It's stuck at 640 x 480 and 4 bit Color Quality (lowest). I
> can change the resolution to 1024 x 768 in 32 bit color, but when I
> click Apply, it goes back to 640.
>
> I tried the Troubleshoot option, but none of the Help suggestions
> worked. The correct display driver is installed, the S3 Graphics
> Twister 0020103C (Microsoft Corporation). I uninstalled that and
> reinstalled the driver. I also tried installing the older S3 driver
> that came with my HP Recovery Disks.
>
> In the Advanced tab of the Display Control Panel, under the Color
> Management tab , it says, "Current monitor: Generic Television." I
> suspect this is the source of the problem. The laptop is not hooked
> up to my TV, although sometimes I watch programs on the TV using the
> S-video port.
>
> The Monitor drivers in the Device Manager are Default Monitor, Digital
> Flat (1024x768), and Generic Television.
>
> When I come out of Standby, the colors are black and white. I have to
> adjust the Color Quality to make it go back to multi-colored (what
> passes for normal on the screen right now).
>
> The major changes I've done to the system recently are an install of
> Norton Systemworks 2005 Premiere, adding 512 MB of RAM a few months
> ago, and replacing a failed inverter on the LCD screen (which has so
> far worked out).
>
> Any help would be appreciated...

Do you mean to say that changing the default monitor to LCD in the
Advanced Properties of the S3 video does not work?