Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Would a GTX 460 768mb be a complete waste on an Athlon 64 x2 5600+ ?

Last response: in CPUs
September 9, 2010 7:48:40 PM

I personally think it`s a waste. Though you`d get more GPU performance, all of your other components would be holding you back. This board also does not appear to support the latest iteration of PCI-E standards, so you`ll lose more from that as well. I would suggest upgrading your board or cpu before anything else, and then gradually buying new parts. You will get better gpu performance with a 460, but with the equipment you`re using, it`ll be an unevenly performing machine that will lag mostly because of the aging processor.
Score
September 9, 2010 8:07:11 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm a bit confused where you say that I'd get more GPU performance but my other components would hold me back. Do you mean to say I'd get less performance gain than otherwise, or that I'd actually get worse performance?

Also, could you specify what you mean by "the latest iteration of PCI-E standards"?
I really wasn't planning on replacing my CPU, let alone my mobo. I might as well buy a new PC at this rate. I'm just looking for a nice boost in game performance, and was wondering just how much of a performance gain I'd get for this card on my system.
Would a 10fps gain seem realistic? Or no?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 142 à CPUs
September 9, 2010 8:08:19 PM

I assume that is your mobo. If so, what PSU are you using with it? How much memory do you have installed?

Upgrading to the 460 would definitely give you a FPS boost, if you have a sufficient PSU to meet the power needs of the GPU. However, your overall system would not be able to take full advantage of the 460's capabilities as tu_illegalamigo points out.

If that is your mobo, you could install one of these (with the latest mobo BIOS),

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and increase your CPU performance. But with a 95W TDP limitation, you really can't step up to a beefier CPU.
a c 142 à CPUs
September 9, 2010 8:09:39 PM

klbg said:

Would a 10fps gain seem realistic? Or no?

Yes, you would see an across the board improvement in frame rates with the 460 vs. the 8800.
Score
September 9, 2010 8:16:45 PM

I'm currently using an Apevia 500w PSU

I have 2gigs DDR2 667MHz RAM installed. I'd install more if I thought that'd make a difference, however the main drawback doesn't seem to be the amount of RAM, but the speed.
And I don't think I can do much to change that.
Score
a c 142 à CPUs
September 9, 2010 8:24:26 PM

Your PSU may be okay as long as you have one of the better Apevias. I would recommend you bump up to 4GB DDR2 800 RAM. What flavor of Windows are you running?
Score
September 9, 2010 8:30:14 PM

I run 7, and I make sure to run games with the bare minimum in the background.
On last check, I have 1.6 gigs of RAM free whenever I game. I could upgrade the RAM if it would make a difference.
A question though:
If I already have the 2 gigs of 667 RAM, would I be able to add an additional stick or two of the 800 RAM, or would I have to take those sticks out and replace them completely with the new memory?
Thanks.

EDIT:
For RAM, would this be a good choice? I'm fairly sure my current memory is also Kingston brand.
Score
a c 142 à CPUs
September 9, 2010 9:56:52 PM

If you have the open slots, you can add 2X1GB for 2GB more. If you add 800 to 667 RAM, it will all run at 667 speed (least common denominator). Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Win 7?
Score
September 9, 2010 10:09:45 PM

32bit
Score
a c 142 à CPUs
September 9, 2010 11:04:14 PM

Got it. Still recommend 4GB. Doing so truly minimizes the likelihood of using any virtual memory (a real slower downer).
Score
September 9, 2010 11:26:34 PM

Alright, awesome.
Card should be here by monday, here's hoping I get a decent boost in performance.
Thanks for all answers.
Score
September 9, 2010 11:44:25 PM

It's the Windsor model.

I really wish I could OC my CPU but I don't seem to have any voltage options in my BIOS and I haven't been able to find my mobo's PLL for clockgen.
Score
a c 83 à CPUs
September 10, 2010 6:38:48 PM

What resolution are you gaming at? If it's high enough you should still see a good performance gain with this upgrade, yes the cpu is a bit slow by todays standards, but it can still handle most games.

If your like me and game at 1366x763, than the gpu upgrade is almost pointless without a better processor first.
Score
September 10, 2010 8:47:16 PM

I game at 1680x1050.
This is the first time I really wish I had a bigger screen, hah.
Score
September 10, 2010 8:55:43 PM

Quote:
personally bro I'm not a fan of your motherboard even though it can handle several AMD cpu's.
since your current motherboard can handle a better cpu, that's one option.
there are several better boards out there for cheap.
why or how, did you end up with that cpu anyways..?
but if your going to get a new board then wait on the RAM and just run what you have now until time to build.
(I'd get RAM anyways because I kill 2GB of 667mhz just performing my everyday operations on my computers).
if you next board is going to be running ddr2 800mhz then that's all the better to get RAM now.
newer boards of course run ddr3 now but the choice is always yours.
I thought about it and even though you say overclocking isn't really an option (but you can),
with a board like that instead of overclocking I'd eBay or Google a better cpu for cheap.

I bought the whole system off a friend for around $200 about 2-3 years ago, since I didn't really have a PC to game with back then. Never considered really upgrading till now.

I'm thinking I'll get maybe 2 gigs of extra RAM and upgrade to 64bit Windows, I believe I already have a copy anyways. Then later on I'll upgrade the CPU.

To be honest I don't think I'm at the stage where I want an entirely new board. Maybe in a year or two.

And trust me, I wish I could OC the cpu but I can't find the mobo's PLL anywhere and I'm not even sure software supports it. I looked all over the BIOS and didn't see any options that looked remotely useful. I did see something about DDR voltage but frankly I'm not even sure I should touch that (tell me if otherwise).

But I do hope I get some decent improvement in performance with the 460, despite my CPU/RAM.
Score
September 10, 2010 9:45:22 PM

Oh wow, my mistake, I listed a completely different mobo. After running hwinfo it appears mine is even worse.
THIS is my motherboard:

I have one more question now. This mobo only has an AM2 socket. I've read some places online that with bios updates AM2 sockets can run AM2+/AM3 processors, albeit slower.
I ran MSI's Liveupdate and flashed my BIOS to the latest version (5.80), do you guys think would I be able to install a newer CPU?
Otherwise it looks like the best option would be an Athlon 64 X2 6000+, and that doesn't really look like a worthy upgrade to a 5600+.
And if that's the case it looks like I'm stuck until I can get a newer mobo.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again.
Score
a c 142 à CPUs
September 10, 2010 9:58:03 PM

You need to go to the manufacturer's website with your mobo model to see what CPUs are compatible with it. Good luck!
Score
a c 142 à CPUs
September 10, 2010 10:12:26 PM

Looks it supports no x4 or x3 processors and what you have is right next to the top of the performance pile for that mobo. I wouldn't spend any money on a CPU for this system, rather would look at memory (to 4GB) in addition to the GPU Nothing more, to allow you to update your mobo and CPU when you can.
Score
September 10, 2010 10:13:29 PM

popatim said:
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpusupport&mainca...

Your supported CPU listing.

Thanks but I verified that my mobo is the K9NGM2. It had the same listing as the K9NGM, hence the confusion, but with a different chipset model.
So, yeah, the link I supplied is correct.

But thanks anyways!
Score
September 10, 2010 10:16:24 PM

COLGeek said:
Looks it supports no x4 or x3 processors and what you have is right next to the top of the performance pile for that mobo. I wouldn't spend any money on a CPU for this system, rather would look at memory (to 4GB) in addition to the GPU Nothing more, to allow you to update your mobo and CPU when you can.

I'll probably end up doing that.
But wouldn't http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... be a nice quad core processor upgrade?
Score
a c 142 à CPUs
September 10, 2010 10:33:00 PM

If it would work. I think the table says NO on the right hand side of the listing, if I read it correctly.
Score
September 10, 2010 10:38:01 PM

COLGeek said:
If it would work. I think the table says NO on the right hand side of the listing, if I read it correctly.

Oh.. hah!
Didn't even read the right side, just assumed it was a list of compatible cpus.
So yeah, I'll upgrade the RAM and the mobo/cpu later when I can.
Thanks!
Score
September 10, 2010 10:53:48 PM

I have an Athlon 64 x2 2.8 OC to 3.2 with a 9800 GTX+ (512MB) on it and a 1680x1050 monitor. As an intermediate upgrade step I had a 5770 (1GB) on it for a few months. It was a noticeable difference. Games that I was playing on medium-high I could play on very high. The ones I could play on very high before I could max out. I could even turn AA on, which I could not with the smaller memory on the 9800. I think you will be pleased with the extra eye-candy you will be able to turn on, especially knowing you will probably even get more once you do the mobo/ram/cpu upgrade later.
Score
September 10, 2010 11:13:18 PM

I hate to revive this thread again but I got some good news.
Thought it didn't work before, I managed to use NTune to OC my CPU to 3GHz. I might try to get it to 3.1 or 3.2 later.
So, things shouldn't be too bad before I can get a better board.

Thanks one more time to all answers, will give best to COLGeek
Score
September 10, 2010 11:13:44 PM

Best answer selected by klbg.
Score
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2010 11:56:57 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!