Sign in with
Your question

A hex-core

Last response: in CPUs
September 9, 2010 8:05:21 PM

I'm looking for a fair-priced PC with new CPUs, video cards etc etc.

I know that I really should get a computer with a quad-core, since all games support them, and they will almost be required in the future.

But I discovered a great computer, well priced, with an excellent GPU, RAM etc, but, it has an AMD Phenom II X6 1035T as the CPU.

What I wonder now is: Are hex-cores good? Do they negatively impact games (even making them unable to run)?

And is this CPU and improvement over an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000?

More about : hex core

a b à CPUs
September 9, 2010 8:14:12 PM

Hex cores are fine, however realize they are no faster with one or two threads than a quad at the same clocks. So don't get a slow hex and expect it to perform better than a fast quad (except in highly threaded environments). Also note the T on the end is Turbo, so compare the Turbo frequency with quad CPU frequency (when determining single thread performance).
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2010 8:19:05 PM

Only OEMs use the 1035T IIRC, which I wouldn't suggest. How "excellent" are the other parts anyways? How much is it?

Hex-cores are good, but as of now has has no impact on games what so ever (both good and bad). The fact is most games now use barely 4 cores (contrary to what you hear), so you'll see no performance gain from a 2.6Ghz Phenom X4 to X6.

Regardless, it is a nice 25%-30% increase even in single threaded performance over the 5000+.
!