Sign in with
Your question
Solved

External HD Problem

Last response: in Storage
September 13, 2012 1:05:29 AM

So, I am having a problem with my media harddrive, the computer it was connected to got messed up pretty bad, and now when I try to connect it to a new computer, the new computer cannot recognize it at all. The hard drive makes a sound like it is trying to startup and connect, makes the same noise seven or eight times in a row, and gives up. I tried a free version of a pay program and it did show an extra 3rd drive connected to the computer.

Anyone know exactly what is going on here, or have any suggestions as to how to fix it? There were some personal things on there as well as media and I would like to not lose it all, but if it is unrecoverable I would like to just cut my losses and reuse the drive as it is a nice drive. If $20 would solve the problem I would gladly pay it. Thanks! :sol: 

More about : external problem

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 13, 2012 10:47:08 AM

Sounds like the drive is dead to me. You can likely take it to a local computer repair center, and they will probably be able to tell you if the data is retrievable. You will not be able to use the drive to retrieve the files or for anything else if it is actually bad.
September 13, 2012 5:37:56 PM

thanks! had not thought of taking it to a repair center.
September 13, 2012 5:38:04 PM

Best answer selected by Stenr Reisa.
!