Windows 7 hangs on boot up.

gassybear

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit installed on my main HDD which is a Hitachi 500Gb Sata drive. Windows boots fine and everything works fine. However, I acquired a Seagate 1.5TB sata hard drive. There is windows installed on it. I am not trying to boot from that drive. Only from MY main drive. I select my drive to boot first, and loading windows hangs about half way thru. Left it running for awhile. BIOS does see both drives. I really would like access to it, close to 400gigs worth of movies and such.

The drive I'm trying to access was taken out of a friends pc, that he fried the mobo. I could access it from another pc, that had an ide HD as the main drive. But no longer have access to that pc.

When I built this pc I only had the one drive.

Solution
Boot an Ubuntu live CD with both HDD's installed. Then copy all the stuff off the second HDD somewhere and format it. Reboot into 7. Problem solved.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

On your MB, make sure your main Win-7 HDD is on one of the earliest Sata ports, like SATA_0, and this larger driver is on SATA_1 or SATA_2.
Then in the BIOS, check to see that the Win-7 HDD is Disk0, and the larger drive is Disk1 or Disk2. Also since both have OS's on them, make sure the Win-7 drive is 1st in the boot order. (first choice of the hard drives listed).

That should let it boot up to Win-7 without having the boot files on the larger drive interfere.