Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Can't Format External HD. Wrong Capacity is Shown.

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • HD
  • Format
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Share
September 13, 2012 3:47:20 AM

My HDD shows 500Gb of capacity in all programs of formating, partitioning, but it has only 80Gb (I'm sure). Can't format it because the programs try to format more than the HDD have of capacity. How do I format it properly? How much cylinders and sectors should I input to make it work? Thanks.

More about : format external wrong capacity shown

a c 138 G Storage
September 13, 2012 3:52:56 AM

blaster182 said:
My HDD shows 500Gb of capacity in all programs of formating, partitioning, but it has only 80Gb (I'm sure). Can't format it because the programs try to format more than the HDD have of capacity. How do I format it properly? How much cylinders and sectors should I input to make it work? Thanks.

use program called hd tune to read the model and smart of the drive to make sure the drive is healthy and google the model of the drive to see what the correct size of the drive is from the vendor model number info. if it is a 500g drive and not an 80g drive then your mb bios or chipset might be to old touse a drive of this size.
if you can use cpu-z and post your mb info here (make and model).
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 4:09:13 AM

It doesn't support smart. I don't know the model, it gives me Generic (500Gb). It's written samsung, but it's probably from china. Benchmark in HD Tune doesn't work, I think it's because it's Raw. In the Error Scan gives me all damaged. Is it gone for good?

CPU-z info: Intel DH55PJ AAE93812-302

It's 80Gb in capacity, not 500Gb. I'm sure because it was working before I tried to format, and my brother had to add manually the capacity so that he could format.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 13, 2012 6:32:06 AM

I'll try Seatools for DOS to restore factory max capacity. But I don't need more capacity, just less.
m
0
l
a c 138 G Storage
September 13, 2012 6:49:13 AM

see what the bios reads as the drive model info. and use try seatools to see what it says about your hard drive. your mb is new so it should if the sata or ide drive is set to achi or ide mode in the bios it should see the drive as the right size.
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 7:18:45 PM

fzabkar said:
How does Microsoft's UVCView utility see the external drive?
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.ex...

Could we see a report from HD Sentinel?
http://www.hdsentinel.com/


UVCView:
Vendor: MOAI ELECTRONICS CORPORATION
USB 2.0 SATA Bridge
Manufacturer: Super Top
Max paxket size: 64 bytes
Interface Class Defined Device
Mass Storage USB Device Interface Class
Device Bus Speed: High

I guess this is all the relevant info. I doesn't show more than that.

Still downloading HD Sentinel.


m
0
l
September 13, 2012 7:25:00 PM

smorizio said:
see what the bios reads as the drive model info. and use try seatools to see what it says about your hard drive. your mb is new so it should if the sata or ide drive is set to achi or ide mode in the bios it should see the drive as the right size.


I saw a similar problem in another post saying that you can restore factory capacity in Seatools DOS, but I'm out of CD's to boot form it. I'll ask my brother to do that, because I'm travelling to another city and can't take the HDD with me. I'll try to see what the BIOS reads in about an hour because I can't shut down my pc now.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 336 G Storage
September 13, 2012 8:26:04 PM

UVCView is correctly identifying the USB-SATA bridge board inside the enclosure.

HD Sentinel is correctly identifying the HDD behind the bridge as a Samsung HM500JI 2.5" 500GB SATA drive. What appears to have happened is that the drive's capacity has been cut by a HPA.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_protected_area

You should be able to restore the drive's full native capacity using SeaTools for DOS (as already stated), or the HDD Capacity Restore Tool (Windows), or HDAT2.

As for how this happened, I suspect that the drive was cloned, possibly in a Dell machine.

See Q7(b):
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/HDD_Capacity_FAQ.h...
Share
September 13, 2012 11:08:03 PM

fzabkar said:
UVCView is correctly identifying the USB-SATA bridge board inside the enclosure.

HD Sentinel is correctly identifying the HDD behind the bridge as a Samsung HM500JI 2.5" 500GB SATA drive. What appears to have happened is that the drive's capacity has been cut by a HPA.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_protected_area

You should be able to restore the drive's full native capacity using SeaTools for DOS (as already stated), or the HDD Capacity Restore Tool (Windows), or HDAT2.

As for how this happened, I suspect that the drive was cloned, possibly in a Dell machine.

See Q7(b):
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/HDD_Capacity_FAQ.h...



Neither HDAT2 nor Seatools could detect my HD...
m
0
l
a c 336 G Storage
September 13, 2012 11:17:49 PM

Sorry, I should have said that those utilities require that the HDD is connected directly to a SATA port on your motherboard.
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 11:41:50 PM

fzabkar said:
Sorry, I should have said that those utilities require that the HDD is connected directly to a SATA port on your motherboard.


Any ideia of how to it without removing the case and connecting directly on the motherboard?
m
0
l
a c 336 G Storage
September 14, 2012 12:02:45 AM

USB mass storage devices use a SCSI-like command set, whereas internal HDDs use the ATA standard command set. I don't know if there is any SET MAX ADDRESS command in the SCSI set, and I'm not aware if such an ATA command can be tunneled through to the drive by some other means.

In short, I don't know.
m
0
l
September 15, 2012 4:54:22 PM

Best answer selected by blaster182.
m
0
l
!