Weird problem with display the got worse

sik15

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Ok, so I was sitting on my computer just watching a youtube video and out of nowhere my whole computer froze. The sound, the display, couldn't move my mouse, etc. I manually restarted and went back into windows. Same thing happened after about 3-5 minutes. Turned it back on, went back into windows, crashed again, but at the end of the crash everything became pixelated and red/black, then directly after, BSOD. Went into safe mode fine, updated graphics, ran virus scan, restarted and at the desktop i was getting artifacts. Right then I was almost sure it was my video card going. Next time I restarted I couldnt even get into windows, right after it was done loading, instant BSOD. Then after this next restart, I went into safe mode and I had artifacts as well. Didn't know what to do so I turned it off, came back after a while, started it up, and was getting artifacts in POST (i think that's what it's called). I'm pretty good with computers and I am almost sure it is my video card going but I just wanted to get anyone elses knowledge on this type of situation.

GPU: 8600gt
MOBO: MSI 790FX-GD70
RAM: Corsair XM3 4gb
CPU: AMD Phenom II 965

Also, I'm thinking my video card fried because the temps get pretty hot even idle. (68-75 idle) 90+ in game.

sik15

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Oh and by the way, whenever I try to get into windows, it just stops on the Starting Windows screen with artifacts flickering. I have to manually restart/shut down. Would a fried/bad video card cause that? Kind of confused.