Sign in with
Your question

My ATI 4850 hell

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 3, 2010 11:33:26 AM

Well to get down to the details of anguish I have been having I will list as best I can the issues I am having (typing this in safe mode atm....).

About 3 weeks ago I was playing Allods and I started getting this graphics erros on screen ( not messages, glitch looking things) that were similar to the blinking DOS cursor in size and full of bad textures and included screen tearing. So I went to update my ATI drivers. (Most recent was 2/5/2010). And then my hell started, after updating the drivers and doing the required reset I noticed on start up at the boot screen I was gettting broken lines of just $$$$$$$$ across the screen, then it would jump to the Microsoft loading bar and then before the windows logo would load or even load in my case now, the monitor would turn off to a black unpowered screen then back on to a black screen and that would be it, I could hear the windows Vista user login chime but wouldn't see anything. If left in this state two things would happen, the screen would alternate from powering off to the blank black screen or load a distorted color screen full of pixel errors.
Now, after many uninstalls via the device manager including the option to delete the card drivers with it the card would sometimes not even load as itself and load as a standard VGA card or when the driver would load after a restart of either installing the up to date drivers or just the standard restart after finding new hardware option the whole thing would start over again. After checking this site for any possible fixes and only finding the one fix being taking the card apart and cleaning it ( which I did) the card worked ok for about 2 hours then it would give the in game errors and then would only display a super zoomed in random selection on the screen and force me to restart and thus starting this wicked cycle again. RMA is not an option as I got this card with my Dell Studio XPS i7 920 core and their warrenty wont cover the card that way and the comp only came with a 3 month deal by dell. I do know the ATI is a DDR5 card, and I am running a Dell IN1910N monitor. So any real fix that can help me save this card would help end my stressful now on 4 weeks of graphic hell.

On a side note, I noticed that the card starts up hot, in the 70-80 cel range even at start up and idle even in safe mode and after I cleaned the sucker.

EDIT: I also now can't load windows vista 64 in normal mode with out getting that black screen at the logo with out removing the card in device manager, so anything to do with the CCC utility is out as well.

More about : ati 4850 hell

June 3, 2010 11:47:50 AM

As far as i know, HD4850 has DDR3 memory...
Could you show us the link for your card?
Is it single slot card?
PSU? brand? model?
m
l
June 3, 2010 11:49:55 AM

It sounds as a bad card. Have you checked if the fan on the card is spinning?
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2010 12:09:41 PM

Sorry, yeah its a DDR3, my bad, typing this at 4 AM and having not slept in over 24 hours makes it hard to keep facts straight, the PSU is 500watts, I don't know the brand name since it is a store bought PC. Although I had the PC for little less then a year this didn't start happening till 3 weeks ago. Basic pc specs are ( forgive me if I am off on them) i7 core 920 running at 2.8ghz, with 4 gigs of DDR3 or 4 Memory, could check in detail but safe mode really limits what I can load atm.

For Rolli59, yeah I managed a couple days ago to get the damn thing to start up in normal mode and rand the CCC utility and checked the speeds and temps in the overdrive tab, it spins at 2%. I even did the ATI profile fix but that did nothing, the only way the fan will spin more is with the manual override comands in the utility itself.

Corrections : its 2.67 GHZ for the i7 core, the computer model itself is Dell Studio XPS 435MT and running on Vista 64bit service pack 2
m
l
June 3, 2010 12:27:14 PM

Use the manual settings 2% is really low and explains your high temperature which looks to be the cause of your issues
m
l
June 3, 2010 12:29:36 PM

Well Rolli59, the issue is getting the damn thing to load the normal mode windows log in screen. The fan wont spin up, least not for me till windows is fully loaded. And even when I did get it to load in normal mode and I forced the fan speed to 50% I still had the graphics issues, screen flickering and then the weird pixel block errors in game then back to square one again.
m
l
June 3, 2010 12:34:55 PM

Agree, use manual setting and set about 40%-60%, see if that helps reducing your temps...
m
l
June 3, 2010 1:54:16 PM

majorkusanagi_2501 said:
Well Rolli59, the issue is getting the damn thing to load the normal mode windows log in screen. The fan wont spin up, least not for me till windows is fully loaded. And even when I did get it to load in normal mode and I forced the fan speed to 50% I still had the graphics issues, screen flickering and then the weird pixel block errors in game then back to square one again.

It looks like the overheating has taken its toll on the card and it is damaged from it. If RMA is not a possibility (usually Dells std warranty is 1 year) you will need a new card.
m
l
!