two burning questions about unreal goty

Please help:

How do I make my created online games visible? I have 'advertise' checked.
My copy is not pirated.
Also, why are the maps i dl off of a server not staying? I wait so long to
dl them and then want to play them later with bots but the maps are not
there. Can they be saved in my map dir? Thanks for any help that can be
offered. -Tim

"Pig_Vomit" <tsis100@hotmail.com> Blessed us with

> Please help:
>
> How do I make my created online games visible?

By the word 'created' do you mean maps you have made yourself?

> I have 'advertise' checked. My copy is not pirated. Also,
> why are the maps i dl off of a server not staying? I wait so
> long to dl them and then want to play them later with bots but
> the maps are not there. Can they be saved in my map dir?
> Thanks for any help that can be offered. -Tim

Maps that have been downloaded from a server are stored in a
folder called 'cache' in the UT directory but they are named
with a GUID naming convention and if you want to convert them
to usable files get the UT Cache Cleaner program found here:

http://www.utcache.com/ut.asp#UTCC3

This link will allow you to browse the site where the UT Cache
Cleaner can be found but you can download the file for UT directly
using this next link:

http://www.vbutils.com/Files/utcache3.zip

Note: for packages such as new weapons or mods like an arena mod
that also include an '.int' file you will either have to figure
out how to write the .int file yourself or contact the admin of
the sever and ask them if they will let you have a copy of the
..int file. What the .int file does is make the new weapon or mod
available in the UT menus, without it you will never see the new
weapon in the game!. Also it's good to make a copy of your cache
folder every so often as the game purges the folder after a preset
period of time and if the server that gave you the file has updated
it they will know that you have the wrong version according to the
unique GUID number and you will automatically download the correct
version. Also any files you have in the UT\root folder ( the folder
you installed UT in ) that have an extension of .tmp can be safely
deleted!.

Hope this helps!

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

Thanks for the help. The cach cleaner program worked fine! As for the
other question... I want to host or start an online game (create was a bad
choice of words). I want it to be a public game that anyone could join,
including my brother in VA. However, when I start a game, it only appears
in the 'LAN servers' tab, not in the UT or 'populated servers' tab (I have
two computers sharing a connection). Is it possible for me to host a public
game? As i said, I did check off the choice "advertise game" (located in
the server options menu). Thanks for the help. -Tim

On Sat, 01 May 2004 12:57:59 -0400, Tim Smith wrote:

> Thanks for the help. The cach cleaner program worked fine! As for the
> other question... I want to host or start an online game (create was a bad
> choice of words). I want it to be a public game that anyone could join,
> including my brother in VA. However, when I start a game, it only appears
> in the 'LAN servers' tab, not in the UT or 'populated servers' tab (I have
> two computers sharing a connection). Is it possible for me to host a
> public game? As i said, I did check off the choice "advertise game"
> (located in the server options menu). Thanks for the help.

You prolly need to open the appropriate ports in your firewall.
See <http://www.planetunreal.com/TheAdminPage/BehindaLAN.htm>

--
{AGUT}DeadMan

"Pig_Vomit" <tsis100@hotmail.com> schrieb:

>Please help:
>
>How do I make my created online games visible? I have 'advertise' checked.
>My copy is not pirated.
>Also, why are the maps i dl off of a server not staying? I wait so long to
>dl them and then want to play them later with bots but the maps are not
>there. Can they be saved in my map dir? Thanks for any help that can be
>offered. -Tim
try using a ut cache cleaner program to get your downloaded maps etc.
into the proper folder. hth

"Tim Smith" <tsis@ptd.net> Blessed us with

> Thanks for the help. The cach cleaner program worked fine! As
> for the other question... I want to host or start an online game
> (create was a bad choice of words). I want it to be a public
> game that anyone could join, including my brother in VA.
> However, when I start a game, it only appears in the 'LAN
> servers' tab, not in the UT or 'populated servers' tab (I have
> two computers sharing a connection). Is it possible for me to
> host a public game? As i said, I did check off the choice
> "advertise game" (located in the server options menu). Thanks
> for the help. -Tim

You're welcome for any help I may have been!. I may have told you
wrong earlier about if a server has made an update to a file and
it has been converted using UT Cache Cleaner that the server will
automatically give you another one. I believe what happens is you
get a 'Version Mismatch' error and the connection fails. What you
have to do then is find the file and either move it to some other
folder or delete it so the server will give you the right one when
you connect back up. As far as running a server goes I've never
tried that but there are quite a few good people in this group
that have!. I do know that one of the main considerations for
running a server is CPU speed...the faster the better! 2.5 to 3
ghz? You could try the UnrealAdmin Page. It has some really good
info on running all kinds of servers but you might have to dig for
it. You can find the UnrealAdmin Page here:

http://www.unrealadmin.org/index.php

Try this page out too as it has some good info as well:

{AGUT}DeadMan <oldman1961@hotmail.com> Blessed us with

> You prolly need to open the appropriate ports in your firewall.
> See <http://www.planetunreal.com/TheAdminPage/BehindaLAN.htm>

Nice one DeadMan! :) I gave Tim Smith almost that same link but
I like yours better because it's more specific!