amecily

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
I've been trying to find a compatible Quad core for my PC, but I keep coming across redundant information.

I own an Acer Veriton M460. On the Acer website, it says that the M460's motherboard is compatible with Intel's Core 2 Quad range. And in another list of specifications, it says compatible with Core 2 Quad but only for 95W.

These are my motherboard details:
Manufacturer - Acer
Model Number - EG31M
Chipset Vendor - Intel
Chipset - P35/G33/G31
Southbridge vendor - Intel
Southbridge - 82801GB (ICH7/R)

So on the Acer website, it says the motherboard is Intel G31 / ICH7.

So when I go onto the Intel website to find compatible quad cores, I look for the ones that are compatible with the G31 express chipset. And by the looks of things, there are only two. The Q6600 and the Q6700. But those both use 105W power. And the Acer website says 'for 95W only'.

So if the Acer Veriton is indeed compatible with quad cores then which one can I use?? Is the 95W thing a typo perhaps? According to my motherboard details, should I be able to use a quad?

Please help, I'm really confused!

amecily

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Thanks for your replies. I know that 775 is a 'dead socket', but I don't want to buy a whole new motherboard, DDR3 and of course the processor itself. I might as well buy a new PC then. So I'd like to just upgrade to a Quad core to have good performance for the next 2 years, and then do the 1156 socket thing.

amecily

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Thanks a lot for the help zipzoom. I did phone Acer today and confirm the compatibility of the quad cores. I think I've decided on the Q9505. What do you think of this one? I choose it over the Q9400 because of the faster clock speed and I'm not into overclocking. Have never done it before and don't know much about it.

I live in South Africa and I can't seem to find the Q6700. How does the Q9505 compare to the 6700? I don't know much about AMD and if i buy a new motherboard then I'm gonna have to worry about my graphics card and chassis. Plus I just bought some really awesome DDR2 Ram a few months ago.

So is Q9505 a good choice?