Sign in with
Your question

How to tell what SATA III controllers on my mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 16, 2011 9:24:54 PM

Hey Everyone, I have an ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO USB 3.0 SATA III 6.0 board and would like to know what kind of sata controllers are on my board. I have one of the new OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb sata III SSD's on its way and am wondering what conflicts I will have with SATA III controllers? At first I thought the controllers were just on the drive itself, now I have been told I have controllers on my mobo for the sata III connections. I am way confused. This is not just plug-n-play anymore. So does anyone out there have a clue what will happen when I plug this ssd in? Will my controllers get along and will I get the rated speed out of it? Can I download different controllers?
a c 235 V Motherboard
April 17, 2011 12:26:24 AM

Here is what you need to do for your SSD...

1) When you first boot, set your SATA Controller to AHCI (you only have one SATA controller so that makes it easy), save and reboot

2) Install your Windows 7 OS just like you would normally do for any build.

3) Install all of your drivers, except the chipset drivers. You will want to run off of the native MSAHCI drivers, when running an AMD board, IMO.

4) Move your USER folder to your storage drive: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders...

5) Install the most frequently used Apps on the SSD and maybe a game or two. After that, whenever doing a install, select Custom and install the program onto your storage drive.
  • I recommend setting up two files on the Storage drive for this purpose... One is to say "Program Files" and the other to say "Program Files (x86)".
  • When ever you do your custom install, all you have to do is switch the drive letter to save it in the correct location.

6) If you want, I have created a recommend tweaks list you can apply to your new SSD: http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...
    m
    l
    April 17, 2011 11:42:36 AM

tecmo34 said:
    Here is what you need to do for your SSD...

1) When you first boot, set your SATA Controller to AHCI (you only have one SATA controller so that makes it easy), save and reboot

2) Install your Windows 7 OS just like you would normally do for any build.

3) Install all of your drivers, except the chipset drivers. You will want to run off of the native MSAHCI drivers, when running an AMD board, IMO.

4) Move your USER folder to your storage drive: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders...

5) Install the most frequently used Apps on the SSD and maybe a game or two. After that, whenever doing a install, select Custom and install the program onto your storage drive.
  • I recommend setting up two files on the Storage drive for this purpose... One is to say "Program Files" and the other to say "Program Files (x86)".
  • When ever you do your custom install, all you have to do is switch the drive letter to save it in the correct location.

6) If you want, I have created a recommend tweaks list you can apply to your new SSD: http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...

• I really like your tweak guide. Will follow that as I progress. But there remains the question of what controllers I have when set to AHCI? On the ASUS support page it says the Intel are not natively supported but on the installiation CD and the Marvel will only allow the drive as a data drive and not boot. That is what has me confused and worried it will not work as OS drive. My SATA controller might not let it. Have you heard of such a thing? I am using a 6.0 HDD Toshiba now and it knows it is 6.0 and set that way. Works fine, but was worried that the controllers might be incompatible on SSD. You get where I am coming from?
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a c 235 V Motherboard
    April 17, 2011 6:25:22 PM

My question is where are you getting Marvell for your board? I'm not seeing the your motherboard has a Marvell controller. Of course Intel wouldn't be support on an AM3 board, which is why I recommended leaving as MSAHCI versus install the AMD chipset. Let Windows 7 install the default drivers.
    m
    l
    a c 107 V Motherboard
    April 17, 2011 7:14:20 PM

Confirming that the SATA3 controller is built into the AMD chipset on that board. It doesn't need a Marvell controller for that. The built-in SATA3 controller will allow OS and/or data drives as you see fit.
    m
    l
    April 17, 2011 7:22:28 PM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
    Confirming that the SATA3 controller is built into the AMD chipset on that board. It doesn't need a Marvell controller for that. The built-in SATA3 controller will allow OS and/or data drives as you see fit.

GO JR!

I have the Directv InCar on JR. I will just plug it in and find out how it works out. Just set it to ACHI and let the OS do the rest.
    m
    l
    April 17, 2011 7:31:36 PM

I was trying to find out what controller was on my board and found on ASUS site that the Marvell and Intel controllers were on the installation CD. I did not no if I still had to install one or the other? It ain"t greek, but it is still not clear on how the controllers affect the SSD drives depending on which one you have. You would think 6Gb meant 6Gb., but it is not as simple as that with these new faster drives. Will tweek and tinker when installed. I am on back order of 2 weeks anyhow.
    m
    l
    !