Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help! Is it my video card or motherboard?

Last response: in Components
September 9, 2010 9:57:50 PM

My desktop is having issues. My guess is that it's the video card or the motherboard. I have a Dimension E510.

When I start up my computer, I get this:

Not more than 10 seconds later (before I can see the desktop), the monitor loses a signal. I tried running in setup (BIOS) and I got this:

This is what indicates to me that it's not a software problem. Now, I can start up in safe mode and pull my files off, but there is still major monitor distortion.

So what could this be? Is there a way to figure out if it's a video card vs. motherboard vs something else? If it's a motherboard, probably time to get a new computer. Hopefully it's just the video card and I can get a new one. Hopefully it'd be one that I could use in my next computer once i upgrade everything else.

Thanks so much to anyone that can help!

More about : video card motherboard

a c 540 U Graphics card
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 9, 2010 10:41:42 PM

It looks like a GPU problem to me.

Are you using the Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (GMA950) or a discrete graphics card?

If you're using the integrated GMA950 GPU you can try a discrete graphics card solution instead. Plugging in a discrete graphics card into the PCI Express x16 slot should automatically disable the integrated GMA950 GPU.
m
l
September 10, 2010 12:00:54 AM

ko888 said:
It looks like a GPU problem to me.

Are you using the Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (GMA950) or a discrete graphics card?

If you're using the integrated GMA950 GPU you can try a discrete graphics card solution instead. Plugging in a discrete graphics card into the PCI Express x16 slot should automatically disable the integrated GMA950 GPU.

I switched to an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT. That's what I have now.
m
l
Related resources
a c 540 U Graphics card
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 10, 2010 12:22:19 AM

Barring a loose video cable then it appears that your discrete GeForce 7600 GT graphics card is defective.
m
l
September 10, 2010 12:29:24 AM

ko888 said:
Barring a loose video cable then it appears that your discrete GeForce 7600 GT graphics card is defective.

Luckily the Dell Dimension E510 has an onboard VGA output which worked, so it must me the card. I was going to get a replacement. Is there anything I should know about what kind I should/can get? For example, would this one work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
a c 540 U Graphics card
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 10, 2010 1:13:27 AM

The Dell Dimension E510 has a 305 Watt power supply.

The graphics card you linked to says a 400 Watt Power Supply is required.
m
l
September 10, 2010 1:17:52 AM

ko888 said:
The Dell Dimension E510 has a 305 Watt power supply.

The graphics card you linked to says a 400 Watt Power Supply is required.

Oooh.. good point. Decided to get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seems like it should work on my computer and still be much better than my previous 7600
m
l

Best solution

a c 540 U Graphics card
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 10, 2010 3:20:56 AM

I looked at the System Requirements for the Radeon HD 4600 Series on AMD's website and it also specifies a 400 Watt or greater power supply.

Personally I think that either one of the cards you've linked to would work fine in the Dimension E510.
September 20, 2010 4:35:13 PM

Best answer selected by keliason.
m
l
February 18, 2011 3:40:01 AM

keliason said:
I switched to an Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT. That's what I have now.

Hi Kel,
here's a saga... DELL replaced my GeForce 7300LE when I had an identical fault as yours. Good work on using the snapshot. It was within a few months of the warranty expiring. Well done to DELL. That second card had an identical failure within a month so I called DELL again. They came and replaced that 7300 LE with another. I asked if it was an inherent problem with the card or system. No comment. Now, less than a year later the card has failed again with the same fault. I don't Game too hard but I do like to be able to read the screen. I'm going for a HD 4670 which appears to be compatible with the PSU/CPU and space available. I 'almost' believe that the card/s failed when I updated their drivers from the DELL website. Coincidences?
Good luck with the 7600 GT and let me know why you chose the 7600GT.
Cheers,

Zed
m
l
!