Sign in with
Your question

Annoying beep with new MB install

Last response: in Motherboards
April 16, 2011 10:55:17 PM

My old MSI 880gma e45 died on me after 9 months. Yesterday I replaced it with a new MSI 890FXA-G65. I reinstalled my OS and finished updating. But not my PC has a new beeping sound, not a real beep but like a high pitched sound everytime my cursor is pointed at something. I ddint have this sound before. Its annoying. It comes up louder than usual when playing games. Sound stop when PC is idle. Could it be my video card? I didnt have it before and all other hardware I'm reusing including the video card. Does anyone know what it is? Faulty MB???

Thanks
Rudy

More about : annoying beep install

April 16, 2011 11:07:41 PM

And by the way, The new motherboard has a 6 pin plug to power the graphic card. The graphic card has 6 pin also. I place 1 6 pin on each. Should I have just done 1 or the other? 6 pin on Mobo or 6 pin on card only?
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 16, 2011 11:18:19 PM

Noobie101 said:
And by the way, The new motherboard has a 6 pin plug to power the graphic card. The graphic card has 6 pin also. I place 1 6 pin on each. Should I have just done 1 or the other? 6 pin on Mobo or 6 pin on card only?

Dude that makes no sense at all.

First of all, your motherboard does NOT have a 6 pin plug to power the graphics card. So I have no idea what your talking about.
Related resources
April 17, 2011 7:07:39 AM

You have onboard graphics in the motherboard, i would say that the 6 pin is for that... seems odd that they would put one up as a seperate powered device when its sitting right on the mobo.. if I where you, i would go to bios and disable onboard graphics device and unplug the seperate power 6con and try booting that, it should already be disabled (graphics onboard) since it is booting at all

J
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2011 3:31:41 PM

Dude, I have absolutely no clue what that is for. Maybe if you don't have enough pci-e cables on your power supply or something, I don't know.

You connect the 6/8 pin pci-e power cord from the power supply to the 6/8pin power connector on your video card.

Do not connect your video card to the motherboard.

April 17, 2011 6:01:51 PM

OK, this mobo does NOT have a onboard video. So, how can I not connect the video card to the motherboard??? I won't be able to see anything. Im using the 8 pin for the MOBO power. 6 pin to POWERCONN1 (Graphic card) and a 6 pin to the video card itself. When I get home tonight I will disconnect the extra 6 pin power and see what happens.
April 17, 2011 7:41:45 PM

I would have to go with geekapproved on this, the only thing that makes sense is that its there to provide power if there is no 6con connector from the power supply, i.e. optional cable male-6to6-male to provide for graphics card power
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2011 7:53:15 PM

Noobie101 said:
OK, this mobo does NOT have a onboard video. So, how can I not connect the video card to the motherboard??? I won't be able to see anything. Im using the 8 pin for the MOBO power. 6 pin to POWERCONN1 (Graphic card) and a 6 pin to the video card itself. When I get home tonight I will disconnect the extra 6 pin power and see what happens.

I never said your mobo had onboard video.

When I say "don't connect the video card to the motherboard", I'm speaking of the power cable. You still have to put the card in the pci-e slot. :lol: 
April 18, 2011 7:26:50 PM

OK, I found out you can use either or. Plug the 6 pin on motherboard itself or on the graphic card. I guess its an option which one will look less cluttered. Some cases dont have much room for graphic card and may not have much room to plug in. I can see where pluggin in on the Mobo can have its benefits.

However, my initial problem still there. Freakin annoying high frequency pitch goes off and on....
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2011 2:08:35 PM

So try it the correct way, power it from the psu, not motherboard, just to see if the problem persists.

High pitch sound I have no idea, wish I could hear it.

Have you installed all your motherboards chipset drivers and newest video drivers?
a c 1319 U Graphics card
a c 1039 V Motherboard
April 19, 2011 2:17:03 PM

That connector is if you have a dual cards that do not have external power connectors running in SLI or Crossfire, it is supplemental power for the PCI express slot. My first SLI board (MSI) had that connector in form of 4 pin MOLEX.
Only provide power to the connector on the card.
April 19, 2011 4:21:41 PM

rolli59 said:
That connector is if you have a dual cards that do not have external power connectors running in SLI or Crossfire, it is supplemental power for the PCI express slot. My first SLI board (MSI) had that connector in form of 4 pin MOLEX.
Only provide power to the connector on the card.

Oh ok that makes sense...
April 19, 2011 4:24:59 PM

geekapproved said:
So try it the correct way, power it from the psu, not motherboard, just to see if the problem persists.

High pitch sound I have no idea, wish I could hear it.

Have you installed all your motherboards chipset drivers and newest video drivers?

After installing the OS, thats the first thing I did. Updated the MOBO and then updated the graphic card. The high pitch sound only comes up when the cursor points to something that hs a potential action. Like on top of an icon. Or when an aplication is open. But its quiet when all is minimized.
April 19, 2011 6:03:23 PM

if its a usb mouse, try changing it to another port, try using default audio drivers (microsoft drivers for audio) try using reference drivers from manufacturer for audio
April 19, 2011 11:14:46 PM

I'll take your advice but take it a little further. MSI bundle had 2 or 3 different drivers + microsoft drivers. I think I will uninstall all and install 1 at a time. I'm using a G15 keyboard with the wireless mouse plugged in the keyboard. I'll plug the keyboard on a diferent usb port and try that out too. thanks
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2011 12:34:52 PM

Noobie101 said:
After installing the OS, thats the first thing I did. Updated the MOBO and then updated the graphic card. The high pitch sound only comes up when the cursor points to something that hs a potential action. Like on top of an icon. Or when an aplication is open. But its quiet when all is minimized.

So......is this after you unplugged the video card power from the motherboard and plugged it into the psu??
!