Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$3000 Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2010 12:39:21 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within two months BUDGET RANGE: $1500-3000 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Photoshop and After Effects, Blender and other 3D programs

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: May not need monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA
PARTS PREFERENCES: none

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE:p robably

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050 and higher

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Must have 8GB RAM and 64-bit OS, would prefer prebuilt system

I have built a system that looks pretty good here. If no one suggests otherwise, I would like to just use that configuration.

More about : 3000 gaming rig

July 13, 2010 12:57:39 AM

Get an SSD for a boot drive and a second HD for data. One thing that will make your computer a lot faster.

(and if I were you I would get a different CPU, games and many other programs just can't utilize 6 cores right now, and a CPU is an easy upgrade) You might also want to consider slightly dialing back on gpu power just for cost effectiveness.
m
l
July 13, 2010 2:12:22 AM

tkgclimb said:
Get an SSD for a boot drive and a second HD for data. One thing that will make your computer a lot faster.

(and if I were you I would get a different CPU, games and many other programs just can't utilize 6 cores right now, and a CPU is an easy upgrade) You might also want to consider slightly dialing back on gpu power just for cost effectiveness.

Hmm... I'll do that. Do you think I could overclock the CPU instead of upgrading?
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2010 2:42:26 AM

I think you could go with the 1055t instead, Most people seem to be able to get it to 3.5 and at least 3.2. If you feel uncomfortable ocing yourself then places like digital storm (maybe cyberpower) will do a factory oc.

One more thing, since your going dual 5970's, get a board with the 890fx chipset, which allows for dual 16x pci lanes, making sure not to bottleneck those beast cards. Also remember dual 5970's is like quad xfire, so the scalling won't be great. Might want to condiser 480's?

Have you looked at the i7 with an x58 board.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=...

might work
m
l
July 13, 2010 4:47:40 PM

tkgclimb said:
I think you could go with the 1055t instead, Most people seem to be able to get it to 3.5 and at least 3.2. If you feel uncomfortable ocing yourself then places like digital storm (maybe cyberpower) will do a factory oc.

So the 1055t is pretty much the same CPU with a lower clock rate? I've heard many recommendations for the 1090T saying that it OCs to 3.8 easily. I do feel fairly unconfortable doing it myself but I read online the the AMD OverDrive utility can do almost all the work for you. Is this true? I know it has some kind of "auto-clock" feature.

tkgclimb said:
Also remember dual 5970's is like quad xfire, so the scalling won't be great. Might want to condiser 480's?

I have heard people who recommend I get three 5870s or 480s instead of two 5970s. Do you think the benefits would be substantial? I thought that the two 5970s would scale better than the three 5870s because there are only two versus three. Is this incorrect?
m
l
July 13, 2010 5:52:34 PM

I don't think so, because I believe a 5970 in itself is two 5870s clocked at a 5850s speed. So it would be the same as having four under clocked 5870s. Crossfire scaling isn't amazing to begin with, so I would go two 480s. Power consumption and heat shouldn't be a big deal with a $3000 budget. Just water-cool them.
m
l
July 13, 2010 7:51:31 PM

Alright. I've updated the configuration with some suggestions. I'm still deciding if I want to change the video cards to three 5870s or 480s instead of the two 5970s.

Link Here
m
l
July 13, 2010 9:44:22 PM

+1 on GTX 480's... you can buy 2 480's on newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) for the price of 1 5970. Not to mention Quad-fire is sweet when it works... but its very inconsistent. 3 480's would outperform them for cheaper. (even though thats a ton of power)

I'm sure you could make a much better rig purely on newegg, rather than a company that assembles it.

EDIT: I guess the SLI config wouldn't make sense if you wanted an AMD chipset though...

Here's a monster 3-way SLI build for $3k before rebates:
http://img19.imageshack.us/i/64554214.png/
http://img690.imageshack.us/i/58285735.png/
m
l

Best solution

July 13, 2010 11:18:47 PM

All looks pretty good.

The 1090 will OC easier because of it's unlocked multiplier and higher stock clock
But I bet you could OC the 1050 pretty close, especially if you with skills and that W'C setup. But that's up to you.

As for the GPU's, dual 5970's just won't scale that well, meaning your bang for buck is dropping like a rock. three 5870's or 480's would be good, see if you can find some reviews that compare dual 5970's, tri 5870's, and tri 480's so you can make a pick, based on price/performance/power/heat/and what games each setup does well in. I'll look for some also.

Make sure that if you do go the tri GPU way that your mobo as three pic-e slots.

You can run Nvidia cards with an AMD CPU, just find a 980a chipset mobo like this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 14, 2010 12:02:13 AM

redechelon said:
I'm sure you could make a much better rig purely on newegg, rather than a company that assembles it. Here's a monster 3-way SLI build for $3k before rebates:
http://img19.imageshack.us/i/64554214.png/
http://img690.imageshack.us/i/58285735.png/

I just don't see the financial benefit of building it myself with Newegg components over getting it from Cyberpower or iBuypower. I built a very similar system to the one you did here, and it seems like just as good a deal. Is there something different about the two systems that I should realize?
m
l
July 14, 2010 12:16:01 AM

The newegg built computer is slightly nicer. But that's going to be inevitable if you're going to buy a pre-built for the same price.

They buy the components at probably a little less, and then charge you extra money for building the computer. If you are comfortable building your own it is probably the way to go, you might not save that much, but it will be a good experience in case you decide to upgrade.

Note: Redechelon's build does not include an OS
m
l
July 14, 2010 3:28:38 AM

Reubend said:
I just don't see the financial benefit of building it myself with Newegg components over getting it from Cyberpower or iBuypower. I built a very similar system to the one you did here, and it seems like just as good a deal. Is there something different about the two systems that I should realize?

You're kinda right, there isn't a big difference, but to be fair though, I definitely didn't skimp on parts... Switching to a UD3R like that build would save over $100, but the slots on the Classified allow for better cooling, so I chose that. That's a slightly smaller SSD, slower RAM, smaller case... and just product preferences, like the nice Antec 1200W and things.

That build does come with a keyboard..OS..mouse, things like that though. I guess it's all based on opinion.
m
l
July 14, 2010 4:50:50 PM

redechelon said:
You're kinda right, there isn't a big difference, but to be fair though, I definitely didn't skimp on parts... Switching to a UD3R like that build would save over $100, but the slots on the Classified allow for better cooling, so I chose that. That's a slightly smaller SSD, slower RAM, smaller case... and just product preferences, like the nice Antec 1200W and things.

That build does come with a keyboard..OS..mouse, things like that though. I guess it's all based on opinion.

Alright. I'll definitely consider building from Newegg, but currently, I think buying it from Cyberpower or iBuypower seems almost as expensive.

I think I'll start a separate thread in the video card forums to debate the issue of the 2 5970s, 3 5870s, or 3 480s.
m
l
July 21, 2010 4:04:27 PM

Best answer selected by Reubend.
m
l
September 22, 2011 5:01:35 PM

"at least 8Gb RAM"

Win7 x64 supports tri-channel RAM.
I would be looking at 6Gb (2x2x2) or 12Gb (4x4x4).

Seeing as though nothing today really needs 12Gb of ram, and it will only get cheaper over time, I would go with 6.

Personally, nothing has come close to filling my 6 gigs.
m
l
!