Scythe Mugen 2 rev B Help!

itinerant

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Hello,

I recently bought a mugen 2 rev B to hug an I7 920 and have found its performance to be terrible. I'm running a single 1800 RPM fan, in an antec 902, with plenty of air flow and ventilation, and am only getting temperatures (on stock clock 2.67Ghz) of 44 degs idle, 65 load. I've remounted it twice and used arctic silver 5 TIM. Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)

itinerant

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Speedfan.png

itinerant

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Yeah, It's mounted as shown. Oddly enough I had it runny at 32-36, then did some mild OCing to see how well the cooler coped under a little strain. I then reverted back to the stock, as asides from fun I have no need to OC, and it's giving slightly higher temperatures. This was immediately after the remount to check I was getting better temps.

Fan's mounted with airflow directed through the back, out the rear exhaust fan, and up through the cases top exhaust fan. It's a powerful fan too, Sharkoon's silent eagle 2k.

itinerant

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Sorry to double post but I ordered a second 1.9k RPM fan from Scythe today, to get a push/pull going. Anyone know how significant a temperature drop does this usually brings about?

Usually not much 1-3C tops.
I'm confused a bit though Fan's mounted with airflow directed through the back, out the rear exhaust fan, and up through the cases top exhaust fan. It's a powerful fan too, Sharkoon's silent eagle 2k.
And you want to add a 3rd?
Or is the Sharkoon you mentioned just your top case exhaust?

itinerant

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Only using the one fan, but it's directed to push air up and out the back. Unfortunately scythes mounting clips are almost impossible to buy so the 1.2k RPM fan that comes with the mugen is just sitting around doing nothing at the moment, hence why I bought a second scythe fan which I'm desperately hoping comes with mounts.

Hmmm, the frustrating thing is that people seem to be getting better temperatures on the interwebs with 920s clocked to 3.6-4ghz than my miserable stock clock. Maybe a second fan + the TIM break in period will yield better results in time, but it's looking bleak for trying to mimic some online results.

I have a gtx 260 which may not be helping anything either, as they run fairly hot, 45 degs idle. As said before though, I should have more than enough airflow to compensate.

Kinda pricey considering Thermalright and Prolimatech clips are $1.99 and the only place i could find them.
http://www.ncixus.com/products/43876/SCY-12FC-B/Scythe/
Scythe's online store is still in the works.
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/053/scy12fc_detail.html#

itinerant

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
I live in the UK though, which is unfortunate for this. Just tried a remount with a better screwdriver and a white spirit cleaning of the CPU. Made very little difference in the end but at least I know I can't do any better. Got it clocked to 2.87 Ghz so it doesn't bottleneck my RAM and getting temps of 40-45 idle and 65 load. Guess I'll live with this for now but I may invest in an H70 soon.

Lastronaut

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I had a similar problem with a stock cooler after i first did an OC for some reason when ever i overclocked the SpeedStep (p55 mobo) didn't activate even tho it was left to [AUTO], i had to go into the BIOS and change it to [ENABLED] to get the temps down into the 30s.