Sign in with
Your question

Help w/ cheap Vid/Pic computer build

Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2010 1:10:34 AM

Hey everyone and anyone that is wiling to give me helpful advice! I am looking to build a new computer for the main purpose to edit pictures and video from my Canon 7D. I am going to be using Adobe CS5 (Premier, Photoshop, After Effects, Sound Booth). I am looking to build the computer for use on two separate monitors or one monitor and a 42” Samsung HDTV. I have the monitors, DVD/CD drives, speakers, keyboard and mouse, and hard drives. I am looking to spend around $800. My goal was reached but I want to know if there are any flaws in my selection.

Case- The case I picked seems to be decent and has ok cooling, I was planning on putting another 80mm or 120mm fan in the case along with the one it has. I don’t care about moving the case around to LAN parties or anything like that. It will be in the same position until the computer dies.

$45 after shipping but with combo with CPU it comes to $35

Motherboard- I am looking for a motherboard that will accept five hard drives and the one DVD/CD burner *might upgrade to blu-ray later*. With that in mind I need six sata connections on the mother board. The board has to support the i7 and I only want one graphics card. I want some ability to overclock.

$120

CPU- I picked this CPU because I need the performance of the i7 but I don’t want to pay $500 for just the CPU. I am looking to overclock it to 3.2-3.6 GHz.

$290

GPU (Graphics Card) – I am just looking for a card that will support the use of two monitors and/or the ability to use the mercury play back system in the new CS5. From what I gather, the graphics card can help with the play back in premier.

$105 after rebates

PSU (Power Supply)- I don’t know much about power supplies but I do know I need the 500 watts and the connections. It seems to do that well and it is cheap after the combo deal.

$55 after shipping but with combo with Mother Board it comes to $25

RAM (Memory)- I really think I need a minimum of 8GB of ram and it would be nice to have the ability to expand to 16GB later if I wanted to. I am not sure if these will work with the motherboard. After lots of searching I have had no results, however all my reading points to the fact that they will work and that they are good sticks.

$214

Any help with this subject would be great. I am just looking to make sure I don’t have any large mistakes in my purchase list. Thank you very much!
July 13, 2010 1:15:56 AM

The links are not click-able so here are the names of the parts all from new egg...
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+
G.Skill Ripjaw F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
i7-830
Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / ATX mid tower
Gigabyte GA-USB3-LGA
OCZ 700w OCZ700SXs
m
l
July 13, 2010 4:16:41 PM

Anyone?
m
l