Sign in with
Your question

New build, no BIOS showing

Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2010 1:25:21 AM

Hello. I've just finished putting together my first build (with assistance), and though everything seems to be properly arranged and connected, nothing appears on the monitor. The motherboard lights up, as does the graphics card; all fans spin; it sounds like it is functioning, but despite all of this the monitor only displays "no connection".

I doubt it's the fault of the monitor as I've also tried another one downstairs, so I suspect it to be a graphics card problem, perhaps compatibility. Does that sound reasonable? Do you think it might be something else? Any advice is much appreciated.

Here is my build:

Graphics card: VGA SAPPHIRE|100283-3L HD5770 1G RT
Motherboard: MB GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
PSU: PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W RT
Memory: MEM 2Gx3|GSKILL F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM
Hard drive: HD 1T|WD 7K 64M SATAIII WD1002FAEX - OEM
Monitor: MNTR ASUS|LCD 23" 2MS VH236H RT
Processor: i7 930

More about : build bios showing

July 13, 2010 8:22:32 AM

After going over this list and making sure everything's in order the problem still persists exactly as it was before. I had overlooked the installation of the standoffs, so I removed the motherboard, added those, and then re-connected everything, and I've triple-checked that the memory and graphics card are properly seated, tried resetting the CMOS, along with being sure of the other warnings in the list.

This has got me stumped. I'm not sure of what my next step should be. Any thoughts?
m
l
a b C Monitor
July 13, 2010 1:53:54 PM

It's possible you shorted and damaged components when you turned on the system without standoffs.

Start swapping in known working components until the PC works, or start plugging your current components into a working PC until a change causes that PC not to work.

Also, you made no mention of a bread boarding attempt.
m
l
!