Laptop wireless xp boot failure in some locations

bshdianne

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Hello,
My toshiba laptop will boot up at my home but not at my mothers house. It keeps trying to reboot and also if you want to continue in safe mode.

G

If the laptop is running on battery that makes no sense. If on mains power because the battery is flat, feasibly there's a problem with the electricity supply, perhaps it's down a bit on voltage.

bshdianne

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Thanks,
It is showing 80 to 90% charged. This is what happens: I can have the laptop on and it is sitting in Windows XP desktop while I am driving. Everything is fine until I get within an eight of a mile to my Moms house and at that point it will shutdown and tries to restart but hangsup in the F8 screen for safemode. It will reboot as soon as I get an eight of a mile from my moms house.

G

Unless your mum lives on top of a major deposit of magnetised iron ore, it's very hard to say what the issue might be.

One might reasonably ask whether your mum has a computer and how that performs.

bshdianne

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Unless your mum lives on top of a major deposit of magnetised iron ore, it's very hard to say what the issue might be.

One might reasonably ask whether your mum has a computer and how that performs.

Hello,
We found out today that the problem is with the embedded WIFI chip or driver. When we disabled the WIFI
chip and driver, the computer would boot into Windows normally.
Thank you so much for your input, it was appreciated.
Bye,
Dianne

G

I'm glad it's resolved -- unless you need wireless at your mum's place, no problem and if there's a router bring an ethernet cable with you.

In that case, it would be interesting to know if Mum lives near a military facility. I thought of suggesting that at my first reading of this thread yesterday but somehow it seemed too much of a conspiracy theory.

bshdianne

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
No military facility in our small town that I know of. But, we feel there is something close to my mom's house that is causing the problem and we will let you know when we find the problem. The next step is to try a USB external wifi connection.
Best regards,
bsh