After a partial XP repair install

I have lost files which allow Explorer to connect to my internet server. The
CD repair install actually had to be aborted after it twice failed for
reasons of not finding certain files. The lost files do no allow my computer
to recognize an IP address. Any suggestions will be welcome.

This might be a long shot but you might want to download and run
these two repair tools:

WinSock XP Fix

LSPFix
http://www.spychecker.com/program/lspfix.html