Sign in with
Your question

3yr old system died - what can be salvaged?

Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2010 3:34:43 AM

I built a system about 3 1/2 yrs ago. Suddenly it stopped working. When I power it on, NOTHING happens. I've had some issues with the CPU fan and I am thinking maybe the CPU got fried.

The old build had

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 CPU
FSP 450W PSU
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
COOLER MASTER Centurion 532 ATX case
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
BFG Tech GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI E x16 Video Card
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
COOLER MASTER SAF-S12-E1 120mm Case Fan
SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With LightScribe
Sony Optiarc Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model

I thought I could just buy a new CPU, but it seems that my mobo doesn't support any of the newer CPUs. If I have to replace the mobo/CPU, what else do I have to replace. I haven't done any research into what's out there since I built the system and wonder where to start. Can any of the above be reused in a new build?

I am not a gamer, just use basic Office applications, Adobe Photoshop Elements and such. I don't need the fastest, best PC, just something decent, relatively quick and that will last for a while.

Appreciate your help.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 13, 2010 6:14:53 AM

I'd say everything can be re-used with the exception of the problem component and maybe that psu.

There is a breadboarding thread on here somewhere, but I cant find it due to a recent re-shuffle sorry
check this thread by JSC for pointers,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/262730-13-breadboar...
Strip everything out of the case, plug the just mobo (put it on some anti static sheet or wood) into a known good psu and see if you can post, let us know how you get on
If it all goes wrong, theres always this thread.... :) 
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288311-13-homebuilt...
Moto
m
l
July 13, 2010 6:16:48 AM

well is the cpu fried? you said you "think"

you can keep dvd/burners, PSU depending on how much power you need, case, your GPU but might be time to upgrade, HDD

what you need new for now besides the cpu/mobo, maybe new ram
m
l
Related resources
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
July 13, 2010 4:32:33 PM

Well, the breadboarding thread goes hand-in-hand with our basic troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

If the system was still adequate for your needs, the least expensive alternative would be to find out what is wrong with it and replace the defective component(s).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 13, 2010 4:44:18 PM

Replace MB, GPU, and memory (Approx cost $315)

ie: I3-540 $115, MB $100 +/- 20, Memory approx $100 ( 2 x 2 gigs DDR3)
Comparable to sligthly cheaper AMD avail.

With the I3 (also some I5's) they have intergrated GPU, so pick a H55/H57 MB. If you want (since you do not game - Not a gamer myself) you can later pick up a low cost 54xx, 55xx or 56xx GPU.

Can reuse all other components (Do not need the GPU card with above build); However, I would spring for a better PSU - ie newegg has the 400 W corsair (Excellent PSU) for about $30 after MIR. Be sure your current PSU is not what caused your failure!

You can go with a higher-end CPU, but based on your usage I think you will be happy with the I3-540. This is what I built my wife, I did add a 5670 GPU Card BUT really didn't need to. For her any game over $10 is overpriced.

Added: I see jsc joined in, I would agree with him with one cavet - As long as repair cost is $100 bucks ore less. If you find the MB, or the CPU is defective - go with a new build. Defective memory or a new GPU card is less than $100. Just bear in mind, as a system ages other components can fail.

m
l
July 14, 2010 2:43:42 AM

Thank you all very much for your suggestions and advice. The weirdest thing happened; I was about to take the machine apart as suggested in the breadboarding instructions. I thought rather than to start off with that, let's just see if I can reseat some connectors. I unplugged and replugged couple of connectors and started the machine. As strange as it may sound, it came up and is now running as if nothing ever happened. I know I tried this when this first happened about 6 months ago (reseating connectors), but whatever I did today did the trick.

Again, thank you for your kind advice. I appreciate all the help you provided, especially the suggestion to do the breadboarding. That saved me quite a few $$$.
m
l
July 14, 2010 2:39:58 PM

I would go and Hit Newegg.com and check out prices on mainboard/cpu deals and see if you can get some new curent gear that works with DDR26400 or buy a stick of ram 2GB included kinda of like a combo. DDR-3 only adds another $100bucks, Aim for a tri-Set around $300 or cheaper maybe around $250 If Luckly. I would buy retail too so you have warranty for around 2-3years!
m
l
July 14, 2010 2:57:45 PM

GunBladeType-T said:
I would go and Hit Newegg.com and check out prices on mainboard/cpu deals and see if you can get some new curent gear that works with DDR26400 or buy a stick of ram 2GB included kinda of like a combo. DDR-3 only adds another $100bucks, Aim for a tri-Set around $300 or cheaper maybe around $250 If Luckly. I would buy retail too so you have warranty for around 2-3years!

Thanks for the suggestion, Gun Blade. However, if you look at my last post, you will see that it's no longer necessary :) 
m
l
July 14, 2010 3:18:08 PM

I only look at 1st Post and Answer looking at other posts is cheating when trying to troubleshoot!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 14, 2010 8:38:05 PM

glad you got sorted man,
Moto
m
l
!