3yr old system died - what can be salvaged?

I built a system about 3 1/2 yrs ago. Suddenly it stopped working. When I power it on, NOTHING happens. I've had some issues with the CPU fan and I am thinking maybe the CPU got fried.

The old build had

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 CPU
FSP 450W PSU
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
COOLER MASTER Centurion 532 ATX case
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
BFG Tech GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI E x16 Video Card
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
COOLER MASTER SAF-S12-E1 120mm Case Fan
SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With LightScribe
Sony Optiarc Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model

I thought I could just buy a new CPU, but it seems that my mobo doesn't support any of the newer CPUs. If I have to replace the mobo/CPU, what else do I have to replace. I haven't done any research into what's out there since I built the system and wonder where to start. Can any of the above be reused in a new build?

I am not a gamer, just use basic Office applications, Adobe Photoshop Elements and such. I don't need the fastest, best PC, just something decent, relatively quick and that will last for a while.

Appreciate your help.
10 answers Last reply
More about system died salvaged
  1. I'd say everything can be re-used with the exception of the problem component and maybe that psu.

There is a breadboarding thread on here somewhere, but I cant find it due to a recent re-shuffle sorry
    check this thread by JSC for pointers,
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/262730-13-breadboarding
    Strip everything out of the case, plug the just mobo (put it on some anti static sheet or wood) into a known good psu and see if you can post, let us know how you get on
    If it all goes wrong, theres always this thread.... :)
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288311-13-homebuilt-buying-guide
    Moto
  2. well is the cpu fried? you said you "think"

you can keep dvd/burners, PSU depending on how much power you need, case, your GPU but might be time to upgrade, HDD

what you need new for now besides the cpu/mobo, maybe new ram
  3. Well, the breadboarding thread goes hand-in-hand with our basic troubleshooting thread:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

If the system was still adequate for your needs, the least expensive alternative would be to find out what is wrong with it and replace the defective component(s).
  4. Replace MB, GPU, and memory (Approx cost $315)

ie: I3-540 $115, MB $100 +/- 20, Memory approx $100 ( 2 x 2 gigs DDR3)
    Comparable to sligthly cheaper AMD avail.

With the I3 (also some I5's) they have intergrated GPU, so pick a H55/H57 MB. If you want (since you do not game - Not a gamer myself) you can later pick up a low cost 54xx, 55xx or 56xx GPU.

Can reuse all other components (Do not need the GPU card with above build); However, I would spring for a better PSU - ie newegg has the 400 W corsair (Excellent PSU) for about $30 after MIR. Be sure your current PSU is not what caused your failure!

You can go with a higher-end CPU, but based on your usage I think you will be happy with the I3-540. This is what I built my wife, I did add a 5670 GPU Card BUT really didn't need to. For her any game over $10 is overpriced.

Added: I see jsc joined in, I would agree with him with one cavet - As long as repair cost is $100 bucks ore less. If you find the MB, or the CPU is defective - go with a new build. Defective memory or a new GPU card is less than $100. Just bear in mind, as a system ages other components can fail.
  5. Thank you all very much for your suggestions and advice. The weirdest thing happened; I was about to take the machine apart as suggested in the breadboarding instructions. I thought rather than to start off with that, let's just see if I can reseat some connectors. I unplugged and replugged couple of connectors and started the machine. As strange as it may sound, it came up and is now running as if nothing ever happened. I know I tried this when this first happened about 6 months ago (reseating connectors), but whatever I did today did the trick.

Again, thank you for your kind advice. I appreciate all the help you provided, especially the suggestion to do the breadboarding. That saved me quite a few $$$.
  6. BEST ANSWER
  7. I would go and Hit Newegg.com and check out prices on mainboard/cpu deals and see if you can get some new curent gear that works with DDR26400 or buy a stick of ram 2GB included kinda of like a combo. DDR-3 only adds another $100bucks, Aim for a tri-Set around $300 or cheaper maybe around $250 If Luckly. I would buy retail too so you have warranty for around 2-3years!
  8. GunBladeType-T said:
    I would go and Hit Newegg.com and check out prices on mainboard/cpu deals and see if you can get some new curent gear that works with DDR26400 or buy a stick of ram 2GB included kinda of like a combo. DDR-3 only adds another $100bucks, Aim for a tri-Set around $300 or cheaper maybe around $250 If Luckly. I would buy retail too so you have warranty for around 2-3years!

Thanks for the suggestion, Gun Blade. However, if you look at my last post, you will see that it's no longer necessary :)
  9. I only look at 1st Post and Answer looking at other posts is cheating when trying to troubleshoot!
  10. glad you got sorted man,
    Moto
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems